Seagate Barracuda Controller Board burnt?

Discuss and share your Seagate drive experience
LucaSaiani
New here

Seagate Barracuda Controller Board burnt?

Post by LucaSaiani » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:58 am

Hi,

few weeks ago, one of my two Seagate Barracuda 2TB, mounted on a TS-212, died: the NAS said that the HD was plugged, but not responding. The disks were spinning. I tried to swap the HDs, but nothing. If mounted on a desktop, the bios was unable to recognize the HD.

Last week I replaced the HD with a new one, same model, and the back-up (raid-1) worked well.

This morning I got the same error: HD not working (but still spinning).

I started to think that the problem is the NAS which, in some way, is burning the HD controller board.

Did anyone have experienced a similar issue before?

Any hint much appreciated.

Thank you.

Luca

Ron1963
Easy as a breeze

Re: Seagate Barracuda Controller Board burnt?

Post by Ron1963 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:09 pm

The disk which broke down the second time was that the new disk or the other one from your original set of two? If it's the old one it may just have been it's time, especially as the Barracuda drives are intended for desktop use and not for 24/7 RAID use in a NAS. They have therefore also been removed from QNAP's recommended drives a long time ago. If you use the search function on this forum alone you will find already many posts of people with troubles operating these specific drives (especially the 3TB one) caused by its frequent head parking policy.

You mention the first failed drive wasn't recognized by your PC after it's breakdown. Is this also the case with your second failed drive? Have you tested before whether these drive were recognized by your PC? This may have an outdated BIOS not supporting this drive at all. I have also came across the situation in the past where I had two different SATA drives which were recognized individually but one wasn't when I had both of them connected at the same time.
1x TS431, 1x TS251, 1x TS253

LucaSaiani
New here

Post by LucaSaiani » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:24 pm

Hi Ron,

sadly the broken one is the new one, and it doesn't work even if it is the only HD plugged.

I can't check if the second failed HD is not recognized by the PC because at the moment I don't have a PC to use to test.

Still, the drive worked properly for a week: it shouldn't be a BIOS problem.

Last thing: both Barracudas worked properly for 5 years or so, thus I guess that they are ok with the requested workload.

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:28 pm

no matter what the (for the 212 unavailable) BIOS settings are, the drive controller should not burn out.

You might have a faulty unit that kills drives (overvoltages, or shorts) I would warranty swap your new drive and maybe try a NAS approved drive to see if that works better.

If that fries aswell, have backups ready and get a new NAS

Ron1963
Easy as a breeze

Post by Ron1963 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:47 am

To avoid misunderstanding, my remarks considering outdated BIOS and drive recognizition were related to the use in a PC, not in the 212.
1x TS431, 1x TS251, 1x TS253

LucaSaiani
New here

Post by LucaSaiani » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:17 pm

Thank you for the reply.

Because I don't want to risk to burn another HD, I guess that the solution will be to buy a new NAS.

Return to “Seagate Drive Discussion”