TS-451A and Ironwolf 8tb issue

Discuss and share your Seagate drive experience
grassotto
New here

Post by grassotto »

i got a TS-451A and four seagate ironwolf 8tb disks, when all of them are placed in the bays the NAS can't recognize whichever disk is in bay4 on boot, if i unplug the drive and reinsert it get recognized and the raid rebuilding process begins. After remote support with qnap technician who made me swap drives/bays and retry we ended up thinking the NAS was faulty so i received a new one from shop. Received the new TS-451A yesterday but i am having the same issue! Drive in bay 4 not being seen on reboot (sometime both drive in 3 and 4 bay are not being seen, but is rare) , any advice? should i replace this NAS with a different model?
nengkrab
New here

Re: TS-451A and Ironwolf 8tb issue

Post by nengkrab »

I have ts-451a and four ironwolf 10tb with raid 5. First time, I can raid only 3 drive and can not add drive 4th.
So I did try updated firmware and then deleted volume. It still see only 3 drive so I have to pull out bay4 and reinsert . It can detect then I make volume with raid5 ( almost 20 hr to do).

My issue right now is R/W speed only 50-60 MB/S. I think it is too slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grassotto
New here

Post by grassotto »

this seems same issue as mine..i have to add that it may be not something related to the ironwolf series, or at least not completely, i tried to insert another disk , an ssd, to complete a four disk configuration and even this way disk in bay 4 doesn't get detected on boot
elvisimprsntr

Post by elvisimprsntr »

Is it possible the peak inrush current or current while the drives are first spinning up at boot up is too much for the 451A power supply?

Or the external power supply is bad or is under rated for the peak load?
nengkrab
New here

Post by nengkrab »

nengkrab wrote:I have ts-451a and four ironwolf 10tb with raid 5. First time, I can raid only 3 drive and can not add drive 4th.
So I did try updated firmware and then deleted volume. It still see only 3 drive so I have to pull out bay4 and reinsert . It can detect then I make volume with raid5 ( almost 20 hr to do).

I found missing drive bay 4 after shutdown and turn on. I just found it was not in list compatible drive with TS-451A already.

I tried with 4 wd red 2tb and no problem with missing drive issue.

elvisimprsntr

Post by elvisimprsntr »

nengkrab wrote:
nengkrab wrote:I have ts-451a and four ironwolf 10tb with raid 5. First time, I can raid only 3 drive and can not add drive 4th.

I found missing drive bay 4 after shutdown and turn on. I just found it was not in list compatible drive with TS-451A already.

I tried with 4 wd red 2tb and no problem with missing drive issue.

Look at the power specs between the two model drives and I think you will have your answer.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

All TS-451A users experiencing unexpected issues with HDD #3 and #4 are requested to get in touch with the QNAP Customer Service. Your TS-451A require a BIOS update which will address the unexpected issues on HDD #3 and #4.

Regards,
-Kurt
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Update/Edit: A BIOS update is not required anymore. Next QTS 4.3.x build will include the fix for this issue. Check the release notes once available FMI. If it does not cure the issue, please contact tech support for further analysis.

Regards,
-Kurt
elvisimprsntr

Post by elvisimprsntr »

Just curious, what was the root cause?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

elvisimprsntr wrote:Just curious, what was the root cause?
Afraid, I'm just the messenger - lack of insight.
trevor63
New here

Post by trevor63 »

I have a TS-451A with 4x WD 10TB Red drives and I have issues with the drives in slots 3 & 4 only when I have more than the default 2GB of ram installed. I am on the latest firmware (20170703) and have tried multiple brands of RAM as well, most recently ADATA modules which are similar (if not the same) as the Qnap ones. I have tried with one module and two modules. It only seems to work okay with the original 2GB.

The issue with mine is that upon reboot, the drives in slots 3 & 4 always go inactive. However, everything works perfectly if I shutdown and power on.

Return to “Seagate Drive Discussion”