ST4000VN000 Drive failure

Discuss and share your Seagate drive experience
sonicfishcake
New here

ST4000VN000 Drive failure

Post by sonicfishcake »

Hi

I have a TS453A with 2 ST4000VN000 drives in bays 1&2 in RAID 1.

Just had a reported drive failure by my TS453A. I had a spare new drive for the occasion so swapped out and the RAID is rebuilding. The drive is still under warranty so went to the Seagate website which requires me to run Seatools and get a failure code. Connected via USB and ran the tests. Seatools passes it on all tests. Anyone know what happened?

Thanks

Geoff
TS-453A

4x Seagate Ironwolf 4TB

RAID 10
P3R
Guru

Re: ST4000VN000 Drive failure

Post by P3R »

Most likely a read error leading to a SMART ID #197: Current_pending_sector. It may or may not be an issue.

Can't you see SMART data in SeaTools?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

what was the failure reported by the drive ?
sonicfishcake
New here

Post by sonicfishcake »

Only the NAS reported failure.

Message in System log is

Type Date Time Users Source IP Computer name Content
Error 2018/01/26 18:08:49 System 127.0.0.1 localhost [RAID1 Disk Volume Host Drive: 1 2] Host: Disk 2 failed.
Type Date Time Users Source IP Computer name Content
Error 2018/01/26 18:08:54 System 127.0.0.1 localhost Host: Disk 2 unplugged.

Seatools shows no errors and SMART data is fine - no issues
TS-453A

4x Seagate Ironwolf 4TB

RAID 10
Neilo
Getting the hang of things

Post by Neilo »

You better check your Drive first with Seatools Dos before you send it in Don't use a USB docking station to do this. I bet your Nas has the issue with the Drive showing unplugged, this is a well know issue with QNAP.

See this post viewtopic.php?f=25&t=134212
johnbirt
First post

Post by johnbirt »

I have exactly the same issue on a TS 453S Pro with a Seagate drive. After almost a year working fine, drive 1 of a 4 bay NAS with RAID 5 was suddenly designated as failed. On removing the drive tested with a variety of tools and the drive was passed as perfect. Re-inserting in the QNAP, the drive was rebuilt and now recognised as OK. It then did the same a couple of weeks later.

QNAP support pointed the finger at the drive not being on the compatibility list of which there are a miserable list of 2 above 1TB and non greater than 2TB.

To my mind the onus should be on QNAP to design its software and firmware to cope with ANY generic HDD designed for NAS devices. How hard can that be? Computers in general are not that picky so why should an NAS be.

My NAS so far is behaving OK since the second alleged failure. Since it worked fine for a year and ALL 4 drives are perfect I am pointing the finger at one of the many firmware upgrades that have been output in recent months but a fat lot of good that will do me.
xman1
Know my way around

Post by xman1 »

johnbirt wrote:I have exactly the same issue on a TS 453S Pro with a Seagate drive. After almost a year working fine, drive 1 of a 4 bay NAS with RAID 5 was suddenly designated as failed. On removing the drive tested with a variety of tools and the drive was passed as perfect. Re-inserting in the QNAP, the drive was rebuilt and now recognised as OK. It then did the same a couple of weeks later.

QNAP support pointed the finger at the drive not being on the compatibility list of which there are a miserable list of 2 above 1TB and non greater than 2TB.

To my mind the onus should be on QNAP to design its software and firmware to cope with ANY generic HDD designed for NAS devices. How hard can that be? Computers in general are not that picky so why should an NAS be.

My NAS so far is behaving OK since the second alleged failure. Since it worked fine for a year and ALL 4 drives are perfect I am pointing the finger at one of the many firmware upgrades that have been output in recent months but a fat lot of good that will do me.
That drive 'is' on the compatibility list. The Seagate ST4000VN000 that is. Who said it wasn't?
https://www.qnap.com/en-us/compatibilit ... category=1
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

xman1 wrote:That drive 'is' on the compatibility list. The Seagate ST4000VN000 that is.
johnbirt is talking about a different NAS (TS-453S Pro) and a different disk (2.5").
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Seagate Drive Discussion”