What should I do for a noisy disk drive?

Discuss and share your Seagate drive experience
spyrou
New here

What should I do for a noisy disk drive?

Post by spyrou »

Dear all,

I just bought a brand new NAS Hard drive and a brand new NAS. I find the new Hard drive to make way more noise than my previous NAS/HD combination (from a different brand).
- The NAS Hard drive is : Seagate IronWolf 4TB (ST4000VN008)
- The NAS is : QNAP TS-253Be (very happy with it :DD )
I bought them 3 days ago. and just assembled them straight away without any difficulties.
Since the boot up, and every time I access the data (read or write), a lot of noise is made. which is annoying , as the NAS is located next to my TV, for multimedia purposes. Unfortunately, the hard drive makes more sound than the TV itself!

Is there anything that can be done to lower the noise?
I have read the article: "What should I do for a noisy disk drive", But it does not seem to fit with my scenario.

Many thanks for any advice. and Happy new year!
Chris
Got a QNAP TS-253Be since 2019 :DD
dolbyman
Guru

Re: What should I do for a noisy disk drive?

Post by dolbyman »

get a more silent hdd model (I have 2 qnap units with 9 wd red and wouldn't call them loud)..better get two drives and move to raid1

try putting the nas on foam to isolate it from whatever it is standing on (preventing resonance)

move the nas away from the tv and use a cheap player that makes no noise
spyrou
New here

Post by spyrou »

dolbyman wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:29 pm get a more silent hdd model (I have 2 qnap units with 9 wd red and wouldn't call them loud)..better get two drives and move to raid1
try putting the nas on foam to isolate it from whatever it is standing on (preventing resonance)
move the nas away from the tv and use a cheap player that makes no noise
Thank you dolbyman for the advice.
I have followed the first point (more silent hdd model)
so I switched my Seagate IronWolf 4TB (ST4000VN008)
with a brand new WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Drive (WD40EFRX)
There is a huge difference !

I have tried to be through in my tests. So I have measured the noise at 10 cm away from each hard drive:
- Seagate IronWolf 4TB : between 34 and 36 dB
- WD Red 4TB : between 31 and 33 dB

I barely hear anything from the NAS , now.
I hope this will help other people later on.
It is sad, this could not be resolved directly with Seagate, since they have shutdown their support forums. But I am happy to be part of another forum here :DD

Speak you soon.
Got a QNAP TS-253Be since 2019 :DD
Gilly02838
Starting out

Post by Gilly02838 »

I have a similar problem with a TS-253Be. I originally had 2 old WD 320Gb Hard drives in the machine for testing while I awaited new drives.

There was not a sound out of the machine and everything was fine. I put two WD Red 6TB drives into the machine and that is when my problems started. The machine has a loud vibrational hum coming from it whenever the drives are accessed - given the fact that it is sitting on a wooden bench doesn't help with the noise. I would liken the vibration to be similar to a mobile phone ringing in silent mode (I can hear it when I am in another room).

I am worried that such constant vibration may end up damaging the unit so if anyone has any ideas on how to track down the vibration in the machine I am open to ideas.

I have set the unit on acoustic isolators (3 rubber hemispheres) to help deaden the noise but that may not stop vibrations from killing the unit. I think I will try adding screws to the drive trays and see if that helps.
iam@nas
Easy as a breeze

Post by iam@nas »

You could pull one drive to check if both disk have this issue or if is just one.
Gilly02838
Starting out

Post by Gilly02838 »

Quick update - I put 5 screws into the bottom of each drive to hold them better to the tray and the noise has completely disappeared. The unit still has a small vibration but it is about the same as you would get holding an active drive.

Note: If buying screws QNAP seem to use a shorter countersunk screw than normal drive screws so the head is completely flush with the tray. Ensure you get QNAP or QNAP compatible screws, I was lucky enough as I had bought a bag of screws on ebay a year or two ago. Failure to use the correct screw may cause the tray to get jammed in the enclosure.
Last edited by Gilly02838 on Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Seagate Drive Discussion”