USB disks crash when copying between them

Discuss and share your Seagate drive experience
jacopo.b
Starting out

USB disks crash when copying between them

Post by jacopo.b »

Hello,

I've got an old TS-870 with an external 2TB USB3 drive as a backup for a NAS folder.
The 2TB drive got full so I bought a 4TB drive, plugged it in in the second USB3 port and planned to copy all files from the 2TB to the 4TB drive, before changing the backup job to use the new drive as destination.

Anyway, I couldn't copy anything because of an issue.
Some time after the copy starts, both drives "crash" and they disappear from the external devices. I need to reboot the NAS to make them working again.

I tried to copy all files manually from one drive to another using File Station, and I also tried to create a job to sync one disk with the other one (one-way). The drives keep crashing in both situations.

Any suggestions?

I will probably plug both drives to a PC and try copying files manually, but I'd like to sort this thing out on the NAS too. Why I can't copy between two external drives on the NAS?

Thanks
Last edited by jacopo.b on Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OneCD
Guru

Re: USB disks crash when copying between them

Post by OneCD »

Do your USB drives have external power-sources, or are they powered solely by the NAS?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
jacopo.b
Starting out

Post by jacopo.b »

OneCD wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:32 am Do your USB drives have external power-sources, or are they powered solely by the NAS?
They both are powered solely by the NAS.
The USB3 cable is the one provided with the disk.

To add further details:
- Old 2TB disk never had issues, and has been used to backup NAS data for years.
- Both disks stay active if no action is taken, they "crash" some time after the copy between them starts.
- Now I took both disks home and plugged them to my TVS471, same cables, USB3 ports: the copy is working fine!

So the issues seems to be related to the specific TS-870 NAS.

Anyone experienced a similar issue before?

Thanks
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

What are the make and model of your USB drives?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
jacopo.b
Starting out

Post by jacopo.b »

OneCD wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:15 am What are the make and model of your USB drives?
OLD 2TB: https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00KWHJVCY
NEW 4TB: https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B01AJWNWWQ
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Your 2TB Toshiba is supported, but the 4TB Maxtor (Seagate) is not on the hardware compatibility list for your NAS. :(

I'm wondering if the USB 3.0 bus in the TS-870 is struggling to supply enough power to both external drives at the same time? :'

Maybe - just for diagnostic purposes - you could plug one of them into a USB 2.0 socket to take some load off the faster interface. As your 2TB Toshiba has been working fine for some time, you might shift the 4TB Maxtor to a USB 2.0 socket and try copying some files. You won't have as much bandwidth to play with, but hopefully, it's a more stable configuration.

edit: I'm not sure the USB 2.0 ports will be able to power that 4TB drive... hmm... Oh, it's got a 2.5" form-factor, so I think you'll be OK. :geek:

jacopo.b
Starting out

Post by jacopo.b »

It makes sense.

Unfortunately I don't have much time for testing and I would like to plug the new HDD back to the NAS to have an updated backup as soon as possible.
But I will check how the new unsupported Maxtor behave once connected alone.

Too bad that TS870 has this problems while my half-priced TVS471 hasn't.
And since new external 2,5" disks are being sold with a single USB3 cable, one thinks that the power from a single USB3 port should be enough (and not shared between ports).

I should have checked the compatibility list, of course. :roll:

I'm wondering why I need to reboot the whole NAS to get both disks up again...

Return to “Seagate Drive Discussion”