Error creating volume on second disk

Discuss and share your Seagate drive experience
wcraft
New here

Error creating volume on second disk

Post by wcraft »

Damn the day I purchased the recommended HDD (Seagate ST3000VN007 IronWolf Drives SC60). To create 6dB storage on my QNAP TS-228, I purchased 2 pieces of recommended HDD. After installing the disks, it turned out that the NAS can only use the first disk. TS-228 cannot create a volume or Raid array with two disks! When you try to create a volume or increase the storage on the second disk-you get an "Error creating a storage pool"!!! . The HDD is new and working. NAS sees both disks, all system information of disks, but cannot create a partition on the second disk. Technical support QNAP-not in a hurry to answer, used the recommended HDD. What to do with the disks now??? To hand them back to the store -will not accept.
Does the user have to solve this problem himself??? Technical support response-I have not received! That's too bad!

Recommended HDD screenshot^
2019-11-30_16-12-58.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Error creating volume on second disk

Post by dolbyman »

The only raid you can create on a two disk unit would be raid1 (migrated from single disk)

adding the second drive as single disk with it's own volume and shares should be possible ...as many people do it all the time

the disk model has nothing to do with that capability
wcraft
New here

Post by wcraft »

unfortunately, nothing works. At any operation with the partition on the second disk-an error of creation of the partition. I took (as an experiment) an old Seagate 250 GB disk, put it on the second disk -a partition was created on it.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

make sure the disks are empty(no partitions) when you insert them

screenshots of the errors would be helpful too

Return to “Seagate Drive Discussion”