Replaced "damaged" WD drive by Seagate, also marked as Damaged

Discuss and share your Seagate drive experience
Danixu86
Starting out

Replaced "damaged" WD drive by Seagate, also marked as Damaged

Post by Danixu86 »

Hello,

About a year I've changed a drive on my Qnap 451+ from a 2TB Seagate disk drive to a 4TB WD Red disk drive (WD10EFRX). After a year without any problem, I've powered down the NAS to keep it off during my hollydais, and after powering it on again that drive started to fail (same slot). I've bougth a 4TB Seagate IronWolf (ST4000VNZ08) and after a few minutes the drive is also marked as "damaged". I've asked for a new drive to seller and the new drive gives me the same problem (and is exactly the same problem that gives the WD drive) so I'm starting to think that something is not working fine on my NAS.

Someone knows if maybe the drive slot is starting to fail?, because I've a degraded RAID 5 and I don't know if I have to buy a new drive or rebuild the RAID with just three drives.

I've all the three disks that have failed during the process (The old 2TB drive, and the two new 4TB drives), and all are working fine on a Windows PC (I've copied about 100Gb of data and I was able to read it without problem. Maybe the drives needs more power and something is starting to fail?.

Thanks!
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Replaced "damaged" WD drive by Seagate, also marked as Damaged

Post by dolbyman »

see this thread regarding busted HDD slots

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=134212
Danixu86
Starting out

Post by Danixu86 »

Thanks!!!, I'll take a look to see if I find something (is a bit long :DD). For now on the first page I've seen two possible workarounds about removing the upgraded RAM or downgrade the version (because also was recently upgraded), but i'll continue reading to see if maybe exists a definitive solution.

For now I'm doing a backup of all data before test anything.

Best regards!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

last 10 pages are the most important (and recent)
Danixu86
Starting out

Post by Danixu86 »

Yep,

I've seen that they say that maybe the problem is the internal mosfet and looks promising, because the drive boots fine, then starts to do strange sounds and then fails, and looks like the drive is not spinning when I extract the drive. On my computer the drive doesn't sound like that and is always spinning.

Anyway, I'll read all the posts to see.

Thanks!!
Danixu86
Starting out

Post by Danixu86 »

Hello,

Finally I've bypased the 4th slot mosfet IC and for now the disk is working fine (before the fix the disk took about 2 minutes to fail).

Thanks!

Return to “Seagate Drive Discussion”