Seagate Exos 16TB Compatibility with TS-870-Pro

Discuss and share your Seagate drive experience
jayatu
New here

Seagate Exos 16TB Compatibility with TS-870-Pro

Post by jayatu »

I have a QNAP TS-870-Pro running the latest firmware (4.3.6.1411 build 20200825) and currently populated with a few Seagate IronWolf 8 TB Disks.

I now need to add more capacity and wish to add new Seagate ST16000NM001G Exos X16 16TH Hard Drives.

It does not appear on the compatibility list but appears to be supported as per some websites. Is there anyone who has actually used any 16TB Hard Disk in a TS-879-Pro, or any idea if this will become officially supported in a future release?
Techthusiast
Starting out

Re: Seagate Exos 16TB Compatibility with TS-870-Pro

Post by Techthusiast »

Hello,

I am running Seagate Exos X16 14TB HDDs in my set-up and have not experienced any compatibility or functionality issues; everything HDD-wise is working great.

I noticed QNAP specifications for your TS-870 Pro show it is equipped with SATA-III 6Gb/s connectivity to the HDDs. Additionally, QNAP’s Compatibility List for your TS-870 Pro includes Seagate Exos X10 series drives, a not-too-distant relative of the current model Exos X16. I would definitely expect the Exos X16 to work in your TS-870 Pro without a hitch, you should be good-to-go.

Currently, my set-up consists of:
-- Seagate HDD Model Number: ST14000NM001G
-- Seagate HDD Firmware Version: SN02
-- NAS: TVS-872XT
-- NAS OS: QTS Firmware Version 4.4.3.1421 Build 20200907
-- HDD Storage Pool Configuration: RAID-6 -- 5 + 1 Hot Spare

For quick reference, here’s a link to the Compatibility List for my TVS-872XT:
https://www.qnap.com/en-us/compatibilit ... category=1

…and a link to the Compatibility List for your TS-870 Pro:
https://www.qnap.com/en-us/compatibilit ... category=1

Please also note, regarding Seagate IronWolf Health Management:
My understanding is that the “IronWolf Health” is applicable only to Seagate’s “IronWolf” NAS-series drives.
Seagate does not enable IronWolf Health Management on the higher-reliability Enterprise-class Exos series drives.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Techthusiast

Return to “Seagate Drive Discussion”