10TB Barracuda Pro Vs Ironwolf Pro

Discuss and share your Seagate drive experience
Crusher
Starting out

10TB Barracuda Pro Vs Ironwolf Pro

Post by Crusher »

I bought 4 Seagate Expansions to shuck for the 10TB drives and two of them are showing in Crystal Disk as Ironwolf Pro and two as Barracuda Pro. These are currently running in RAID10 in my TS-451+ as:
Bay 1: Ironwolf Pro
Bay 2: Ironwolf Pro
Bay 3: Barracuda Pro
Bay 4: Barracuda Pro

I went and got another four of these drives for my TR-004 as a backup and they are each Ironwolf Pro units. They are currently not installed and have just been shucked.

My question to you is: Should I sequentially replace the Barracuda Pro units in my TS-451+ and rebuild the RAID10 array each time - one drive at a time and then move them into the TR-004 or should I just leave them in the TS-451+ and put the four new Ironwolf Pro's in the TR-004. My thinking is that it would be better to have four perfectly matched drives in the two RAID 1 sets of the RAID 10 of the TS-451+ as it is running the OS. Both drives have very similar specs and expected life spans. My temps are running around 48 degrees at the most and they have been in this enclosure for the last month, so drive age isn't really an issue.

Any advice would be appreciated.
TS-653D-8G with 6x Seagate Exos X16 10TB drives in RAID6
TS-653D-8G with 6x Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10TB drives in RAID6 for backup
Now redundant TS-451+ 16GB Kingston RAM and TR-004
Cyberpower Value 2200vA 1320-Watt UPS connected to Master TS-653D via USB2.0 and powering both TS-653D units
dolbyman
Guru

Re: 10TB Barracuda Pro Vs Ironwolf Pro

Post by dolbyman »

why RAID10 ? RAID6 is more secure, as any 2 drives can fail

besides that, shucked drives will not have RAID features like TLER and much less warranty .. but your data, your choice.

I would rather have mixed drives in my RAID, so the chance is lower that they all fail at the same time
Crusher
Starting out

Post by Crusher »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:01 am why RAID10 ? RAID6 is more secure, as any 2 drives can fail

besides that, shucked drives will not have RAID features like TLER and much less warranty .. but your data, your choice.

I would rather have mixed drives in my RAID, so the chance is lower that they all fail at the same time
RAID10 is better for larger drives such as 10TB from what I have been able to learn to date. The rebuild time is significantly less when you have a failed drive and you are less likely to lose another drive whilst rebuilding the array if you use RAID10. This was part of my reasoning for RAID10. The other part is that as you have mentioned previously, the TR-004 doesn't support RAID6, so I can't use it on that box.
Cyberpower Value 2200vA 1320-Watt UPS connected to Master TS-653D via USB2.0 and powering both TS-653D units
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

On RAID10, the partner drive (there is only one per mirror) has to work flawlessly.. there is no parity on other drives to restore the data on failure
Sure on a low power CPU, a straight copy is faster than parity calculations, but that is not really the case on modern CPU's.

The processor on the TR units is probably not fast enough to deal with the dual parity swiftly (so that's why you can only do R5 and R10)
Crusher
Starting out

Post by Crusher »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:37 am On RAID10, the partner drive (there is only one per mirror) has to work flawlessly.. there is no parity on other drives to restore the data on failure
Sure on a low power CPU, a straight copy is faster than parity calculations, but that is not really the case on modern CPU's.

The processor on the TR units is probably not fast enough to deal with the dual parity swiftly (so that's why you can only do R5 and R10)
Yes, there doesn't seem to be a perfect choice of RAID as each one has its for and against, and this is why I got the TR-004.

The article that I started my research on RAID10 over RAID6 was this one: https://www.zdnet.com/article/why-raid- ... g-in-2019/

Then another one here that recommended RAID10 over RAID6 when approaching 40TB: https://blog.storagecraft.com/practical ... on-making/

It really is a bit of a minefield out there for the newbie.

Thanks for your advice on my topics.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Many of these articles cite heresay or hardware raid controller wisdom

One of the forum regulars here recently compared it ..and R6 was far superior

Anyways..keep it in R10 if you set it up already..it will not keep your NAS from functioning correcrly

Return to “Seagate Drive Discussion”