TS-231K - IronWolf ST4000VN008 - high LCC

Discuss and share your Seagate drive experience
ihartley
Know my way around

TS-231K - IronWolf ST4000VN008 - high LCC

Post by ihartley »

Hi,

Have raised a ticket with Seagate (no answer), but am experiencing 600 LCC/day (less than 3 years per spec sheet) on a new drive. Having had issues with WD RED in the past (and disabling it) do I need to do something with the "designed for NAS" Ironwolf??

Is this a QNAP issue or a Seagate issue?? It's a bit bizarre for a NAS drive to do a Load cycle every few minutes....

TIA.
OneCD
Guru

Re: TS-231K - IronWolf ST4000VN008 - high LCC

Post by OneCD »

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=130439

There's a solution in that topic that seems to have worked for some. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ihartley
Know my way around

Post by ihartley »

Thanks - will try and report back.

But given the WD RED issues, why would this be happening with a new Ironwolf drive?? They are designed for NAS?!?!

I can only think that novice NAS users pay extra bucks for NAS drives only for SMART to throw up warnings after 3 years. It's mis-selling at best....

I guess if Elon Musk's rockets parked every few minutes then customers might have something to say 😄
ihartley
Know my way around

Post by ihartley »

It seems it works. Seagate just want me to RMA the drive, but I'll get another drive with the same firmware.

Maybe I'll just leave it for 2 years and then RMA it for being unsuitable for NAS - and then get a new drive! :DD I don't understand - should I become a hard drive engineer, because I know FA but still know that a HDD parking 600 times a day in a NAS isn't a good idea.
ihartley
Know my way around

Post by ihartley »

I can confirm the change works, and survives a reboot (but not shutdown). Seagate currently refuse to think there's a problem (WD RED deja vu) - it annoys me that companies have so little respect for their customers.

Return to “Seagate Drive Discussion”