Seagate NAS disks released (ST4000VN000)

Discuss and share your Seagate drive experience
mikaelke
New here

Re: Seagate NAS disks released (ST4000VN000)

Post by mikaelke »

eggberteh wrote:
eggberteh wrote:Just thought i would post my experience. As sometimes success stories don't make it onto places like this.

I have 5 Seagate ST4000VN000 in a Qnap TS-559 setup for RAID 5.

To be fair they have only been running a few weeks but they all worked on arrival & have so far been faultless and very quiet.

So far a happy camper.
Just thought I would post an update, my drives have been running 24x7 for just over 3 months now without issue in a ts-559 still quiet and reliable so far.
Thanks for your update! I've just ordered two disks. I hope they will be quiet and durable. I find the Samsung HD154UIs I use now to be a little noisy.
dejavu
First post

Post by dejavu »

Sadly to report I don't have very good experience with this new series ST4000VN000 from Seagate. I rescently obtained TS-869 PRO, and equiped it with 4 x ST4000VN000 in RAID 5 configuration.
After just little over 2 weeks that the drives were in the array, one of the drives has totaly failed, and TS-869 PRO management suggested drive replacement.
Interestingly I have had first FW 3.8.4, then upgraded it to FW 4.0.4 and now 4.0.5 FW, and neither of those 4.0.x FW versions activated the red light on the drive bay suggesting a fatal error in the system, (which was first discovered under 4.0.4 FW version), altough it was detected in the FW management.

I took the drive out of the bay and plugged it in the regular computer for testing purposes, to see if there is realy a drive failure in question since those latest 4.0.x FW are still not quite stable.
Sadly to report the drive couldn't even pass the short internal drive test in the Seagate Seatools testing tool, so I'm returning it.

I specificly requested from my local supplier these drives because I believed they were more stable and relieable than the ST4000DM000 series (which were 20 euros cheaper), even considered it for the RAID 0 configuration until i equip the system with additional 4 drives, lucky me I decided to do RAID 5 configuration from the beginning. Good thing is I got 3 years warranty on the drives from the local supplyer.
So I'm returning the drive tomorrow.

One thing that realy bothers me is the very sharp (his-)noise during the spin-up process of the drives when the TS-869 PRO wakens up from sleep mode. I can hardly even recall hearing such (his-)noise from any drives before since the first WD Caviar series. And those had some serious problems as I remember. Altough I can say that the drives are operating relatively quiet once they get to ther operating RPMs.

Well, to uderline my suspicions from noone else than the WD and their exeprice from some quote i picked up on the WD EZRX drive discussion in this forum, I can say that I don't have a good feeling about this drive series
ToreBK wrote: WD: "Our enhanced dual-plane balance control technology significantly improves the overall drive performance and reliability. Hard drives that are not properly balanced may cause excessive vibration and noise in a multi-drive system, reduce the hard drive life span, and degrade the performance over time".
I'll post updates after I replace the faulty drive and hopefully REBUILD my RAID array succesfully.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

The 4.0.4, early 4.0.5 and probably even the current 4.0.5 might still have issue when it comes to HDD SMART I/O error detection - leaving a negative report on the HDD would be simply wrong at this status: You would do wrong to any HDD vendor right now. There are some issues and suspect failures in the I/O error processing (as per the SATA standards); another manufacturer 4 TB NAS drive introduced the definitively not NAS-aware LCC issue again, too. QNAP is working on these.

Have updated to the current [Official] QTS 4.0.5 build 1023 SMB for TS-x69, x70, x79 - and have done as noted?

Should you still have an issue please immediately contact QNAP Customer service http://helpdesk.qnap.com/ - the community can't help.
Phrehdd
Starting out

Post by Phrehdd »

I wanted to purchase 5 or 6 of these 4 tb Seagates but have heard horror stories about ordering on line. Seems that packaging these days are done by trained monkeys who don't realize that these drives need to be insulated in a box.

Any suggestions on a USA seller that provides competitive pricing and packs the drive well for shipping?
roosta
Getting the hang of things

Post by roosta »

Thanks for the reviews and feedback guys.

Depending on which IT vendor or group of buddies I ask for feedback from regarding drive reliability with my specific setup, I get a mixed response for WD and Seagate. I'm running 2 x 3 TB drives in my desktop setup both Seagate and WD and both seem to be 'up to scratch' to say the least, however I have noticed much more LCC issues on my DM001 Seagate (4421) in its lifetime, compared to WD EZRX model (2592) over the past year or so. I usually power off the desktop every 12-24 hours, as sometimes I leave my PC on for 1-2 straight days and sleep/idle times would be frequent on those drives...however those figures aren't going to put me off Seagate when using different model drives in a NAs setup.

This is going to be my first NAS and hence, first RAID setup. Later today I'll be setting up 4 x 4TBs (ST4000VN000) in my TS-470 with a RAID 5 configuration (12TB total storage).

I'm surprised to hear of the amount of disk failures in RAID setups regardless of brand or size...For one, it makes me wonder the whole point of investing in a NAS and a RAID setup if problems are going to surface within 1-3 years when my drives come with a default 2 years. I've never had a 3.5" desktop drive fail me, ever. But having said that I keep up with newer technology and don't keep the same drives for more than 3 or so years.

I'll post my results

RoOSTA
roosta
Getting the hang of things

Post by roosta »

Per the above, no dramas in the early stages with these drives in my TS-470...and that's partly because I made sure the supplier I purchased my 4 drives from did not remove them from factory-shipped packaging until the moment they had been handed over to me, so they were shipped and stored very safely...
makkyc
First post

Post by makkyc »

I'm sad to report that I don't have a good experience with this ST4000VN000 either
we have purchased a TS-421 not long before Christmas and I've installed 4 x ST4000VN000 and configured in 2 x mirror Raid 1 mode ( so it's 2 x 4TB )
when installing it upgraded itself to firmware 4.0.5 and it was working fine for almost a week, then i receive the following warning and error msgs then it went dead (red status light flashing and disappear from qfind):
Date/Time: 2013/12/23 07:12:45
Level: Warning
[Mirror Disk Volume: Drive 1 2] RAID device in degraded mode.
a 00 00 10 32 48 00 02 00 00 .
Date/Time: 2013/12/23 07:12:45
Level: Warning
[Harddisk 3] I/O error, sense_key=0x0, asc=0x0, ascq=0x0, CDB=2a 00 00 10 32 48 00 02 00 00 .
Date/Time: 2013/12/23 07:17:10
Level: Error
[Mirror Disk Volume: Drive 1 2] Drive 2 failed.
I was not able to recover the data and since i was not able to place 4 x 4TB drive in the machine even they are not configured.

the workaround I've done now is, upgraded to 4.1.0 beta firmware and placing a 1TB drive on bay 1 and bay 3+4 are the 4TB in Raid 1 mode, and bay 2 has a 4TB as spare, and disabled and remove multimedia applications, the network recycle bin... etc. (we only used it as a backup storage)

it seems stable for the past week and half now without any load, and the full backup test was successful last night, and will report back after a week.
eagleyes
New here

Re: Seagate Enterprise ST3000NM0043/ST3000NM0063

Post by eagleyes »

Hello to all! I am new in this community, actually less than a day old. So glad I found this community to search for lots of information about Qnap.

To start with, if this question of mine happens to be in an earlier forum, kindly provide me the link so no duplication will be made and forgive my ignorance. I finally decided to purchase a QNAP TS-269L which is still on its way for delivery. I have not decided on the HHD to use, and since your topic has a different HHD models being compared with, I was wondering if anyone has tried the Seagate Enterprise ST3000NM0043 or ST3000NM0063 and if they are compatible and give better performance with the NAS I have purchased. I intend to buy 2 of these and set it up in RAID 1. I'm not really a tech savvy person, just average knowledge, hence your inputs are really important to me.

Is it also advisable at this time to buy the additional 2GB ram? if so, is the kingston ram module being suggested in here compatible with the NAS mentioned?

Just quite eager to get hold of the Qnap TS-269l, any advise before doing the initial set-up is highly appreciated, aside from what is indicated in the Qnap website for it's initial setup.

Again, it's great being in this community... looking forward to more fun reading the forum.
scientific
New here

Post by scientific »

Hello all: Just bought a QNAP : TS-659 Pro+.

Have 4 x 2TB Seagate ST2000VN000, I may swap for Seagate ST4000VN000. Anyone have a failure to format these, either 2TB or 4 TB? For musinc and image server use, suggest raid 1? Raid 5? Individual drives?

Any opinions Seagate in general vs WD for reliability, service?

Use of the 4TB vs 2 or 3 TB for reliability?

Anyone used WD red or black drives?

Many thanks!

Cheers,

Jon

PS: Had the D-Link DNS 323 and 343 but they are low end consumer junk, and the 343 could never fmt new drives
Jon Paul
Scientific
MSEE, ARCSI
marshalleq
Easy as a breeze

Post by marshalleq »

scientific I think that should be fine. I have three of these in one of my NAS's running fine. Assuming your original drives are in RAID5 you would have 6TB of space. It will take quite a while to swap them out and in fact it can be much faster if you copy the data off somewhere else first and set up from scratch. I also have the WD drives in another NAS. Either is a good choice and there is very little between them. I think the WD's are slightly more power efficient at a slight decrease in performance. Possibly neither of these things would be noticeable at the end of the day. Both are quiet in my opinion.
TS669-L (3GB RAM) fw 4.3.2.0050 Build 20170104 with 6x4TB Seagate ST4000VN000-1H41SC43 2x2TB Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 2x8TB ST8000VN0022-2EL112
QNAP UX-500P External 5 Bay USB3 Expansion Cabinet
Raspberry Pi 1,2 & 3
Mac Mini
Apple TV 3/4
Windows
Sabayon Linux
Ubuntu Linux
Android
Docker
Ryzen 1800x custom system

Web
https://www.tech-knowhow.com

Twitter
@Marshalleq
@TechKn0wH0w
Wildcat_1
Know my way around

Post by Wildcat_1 »

Bunce
Interested in how these are holding up for you. Wanting to put 8 in an 870 Pro but getting nervous due to the accounts of people with issues on them here.
I am interested in the WD RED but concerned there too as many people mention the heat and load cycle count issues. Have 1.5TB Samsungs in a 659 pro right now but not sure which drive manufacturer to turn to for this 870
Bunce wrote:We've been running an 809U-RP for 4 years with 8 x WD RED (3TB) for the last year or so without issue in RAID-6, but its starting to show its age and we're running short on space.

We've just grabbed a 1279U-RP with 12 x ST4000VN000 (from different suppliers / batches) - so will post how it goes.

All clear on a full SMART test so far - will be interesting to see how long the RAID (10) build goes.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Wildcat_1 wrote:I am interested in the WD RED but concerned there too as many people mention the heat and load cycle count issues.
This is not an issue - return any WD Red (or other WD or any other manufacturer HDD counting up the load cycle counter for replacement. Nobody out here knows what was riding WDC to a) reinvent the LCC issue on some early 4 TB units manufactured, and b) remove the issue on the same WD Red models, without an obvious change in the firmware version.
eggberteh
Starting out

Post by eggberteh »

FYI,

I have had 8 Seagate (ST4000VN00) in my TS-870 running 24/7 for 243.3 days without incident.
brickengineer
New here

Post by brickengineer »

Yes, I also have eight (8) running in my TS-853. Solid drives.
Mirco82
Starting out

Post by Mirco82 »

Good day,
does anybody knows how I can remove/ delete my forum account?
Thanks

Return to “Seagate Drive Discussion”