Western Digital and Seagate disk Compatibility

Discuss and share your WD drive experience
rbbrtdgrt
New here

Western Digital and Seagate disk Compatibility

Post by rbbrtdgrt »

Hi

This week one of the 2 hard disks of my TS209 Pro II crashed. Although the NAS was functioning without RAID technology (2 seperated volumes), I want this time to set up the NAS in RAID-1 mode.

Which disk is (RAID1) compatible with the remaining SEAGATE Baracuda ES.2 1 TB (ST310000340NS) disk ? As this disk seems to be out of support I was wondering if I can “mix” disk of 2 different marks (Seagate and Western Digital)

Model WD1002FBYS or WD1000FYPS can work wihe the Seagte model ?

Anyone experience with this ?
/Robbert
P3R
Guru

Re: Western Digital and Seagate disk Compatibility

Post by P3R »

rbbrtdgrt wrote:This week one of the 2 hard disks of my TS209 Pro II crashed. Although the NAS was functioning without RAID technology (2 seperated volumes), I want this time to set up the NAS in RAID-1 mode.
That's a very good idea.
As this disk seems to be out of support I was wondering if I can “mix” disk of 2 different marks (Seagate and Western Digital)
Yes, it shouldn't be a problem.
Model WD1002FBYS or WD1000FYPS can work wihe the Seagte model ?
Both listed on the TS-209 Pro II disk compatibility list so both should be okay.

Please don't double post.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Western Digital Drive Discussion”