[Fixed] WD Elements disk needs PSID to unlock SED

Discuss and share your WD drive experience
justinwubo
Starting out

[Fixed] WD Elements disk needs PSID to unlock SED

Post by justinwubo »

I have 1 12TB WD Elements mobile hard disk and I just get the disk and plug it into the QNAP NAS.

The NAS server can recognize the drive but told me to get the PSID to unlock SED. However, I cannot get the PSID from the hard drive or anywhere.

Anyone meets the same issue?
WechatIMG26.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by justinwubo on Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: WD Elements disk needs PSID to unlock SED

Post by dolbyman »

Mobile HDD? i think you mean a shucked 3.5" USB drive

Check datahoarder on reddit if there was any anti shuck measures introduced, otherwise stick to compatible NAS drives
justinwubo
Starting out

Post by justinwubo »

dolbyman wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:40 pm Mobile HDD? i think you mean a shucked 3.5" USB drive

Check datahoarder on reddit if there was any anti shuck measures introduced, otherwise stick to compatible NAS drives
Yes, it's a mobile HDD.
Dominic089
First post

Post by Dominic089 »

I am literally at the same point with the same drive and PSID request to continue and cant find this anywhere. Does anyone have anything helpful to contribute?
justinwubo
Starting out

Post by justinwubo »

Dominic089 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:50 pm I am literally at the same point with the same drive and PSID request to continue and cant find this anywhere. Does anyone have anything helpful to contribute?
Hi, I filed a ticket to QNAP and they told me that I'm using a beta version FW and suggest me to use the latest stable version FW. After the FW installation, the problem's gone. Hope it can help.
1656117716917.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ssbarnea
New here

Re: [Fixed] WD Elements disk needs PSID to unlock SED

Post by ssbarnea »

I have the same problem, not being able to use new disk.

I am on QuTS hero h5.0.1.2045 (beta?) and it does not report any newer versions, so apparently they did not fix it. It is bit weird that their beta is older than the last release.

I hope that the downgrade works without breaking anything.
Kunzite
Know my way around

Post by Kunzite »

ssbarnea wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:43 am It is bit weird that their beta is older than the last release.
Not weird at all, it's the beta for the upcoming h5.0.1 - while the last release is a h5.0.0. A different branch.
Supposedly they'll port such fixes to h5.0.1 before putting this version in release.
BWend
First post

Post by BWend »

I had the same issues on the last weekend whilst dring to upgrade a 453BE with WD1200EDBZ drives on QTS 5.0.1.2079 installed.

Downgraded the QTS to 5.0.0.2055 (stable version) and got the drives in the manager back to initialize them without a PSID (PSID) is in the 2D barcode.

However the QTS Beta version did not accept the entered codes.
edgecrush3r
Starting out

Post by edgecrush3r »

i had the same issue with some Shucked WD drives. Downgrading fixed the issue for me also.
rjnmd
Starting out

Post by rjnmd »

Seeing this same issue with two brand new wdblack ssd's I installing as cache & yes the wdblacks are compatible.
It's asking for a PSID but not sure to find it in storage and snapshot. Considering the drives have heatsinks on them also it is not just simply shutting down the nas, taking out a couple drives and looking.
There is a newer firmware. I am on .2194 so I guess I could try that first.

Any other ideas are welcome

Return to “Western Digital Drive Discussion”