Install WDBlack 850SX M2's

Discuss and share your WD drive experience
rjnmd
Starting out

Install WDBlack 850SX M2's

Post by rjnmd »

Before anyone says these aren't on the compatibility list talked with support before. Also I understand I wont get the full speed dont care. What I am asking about though is recently bought a TS-464. The NAS has two m2 slots. QNAP used to include heat sinks in all their NAS's that supported m2's. According to support it would seem that is no longer the case or support is wrong. Either way again don't care not a big deal. My concern is more so if I buy two heatsinks are they going to fit in the enclosure.

These are what I was considering:
https://www.amazon.com/EKWB-EK-M-2-NVMe ... 077V3BMW9/

just worried if they'll fit
Last edited by dolbyman on Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed ref links
rjnmd
Starting out

Re: Install WDBlack 850SX M2's

Post by rjnmd »

Last edited by dolbyman on Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed ref links
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I removed the advertising referral tags from these links

Also, if you confirmed with QNAP that the SSD's would fit, why didn't you confirm what the fitting dimensions for M2 coolers would be?

P.S. I tun 2x WDS100T1B0E in my 1288X (GEN4 bare version) and they seem rock stable (40C at 20C ambient)
Kunzite
Know my way around

Post by Kunzite »

I remember hearing somewhere (most likely from that seagull-plagued guy) that the TSx64 series comes without the itsy-bitsy tiny heatsinks they used to include.
I found some pics of the NAS on the Internet, but reading again the OP's message - rjnmd, you've already got the NAS, right? Why not just open it and have a look?
I'd say, there's a very good chance a low height heatsink would fit OK. I would avoid the taller ones (like in your second post).

I'm using Silverstone TP02-M2's in my TS-673a, by the way (with Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSDs).
rjnmd
Starting out

Post by rjnmd »

Installed the drives today....now seeing something new which I put in another post...qnap saying the drives need a sed erase and asking for a psid
Dranaes
Starting out

Post by Dranaes »

Hi rjnmd. What heatsink did you use in the end?
rjnmd
Starting out

Post by rjnmd »

Late response to everyone who replied. I used the EKWB's in my 464.

I had been so busy troubleshooting an issue with lockups and shutdowns in my TVS-673. The issue actually turned out to be the Plex Tools folder that was causing me issues. Once I made an rule for that folder in McAfee all my issues went away.

Which leads me to my next question. I still have two more 850 WD Black SSD's is there any reason not to throw them in the TVS-673. Yes I know I won't get the full performance out of them but want to make sure that they are not going to cause any issues.

Return to “Western Digital Drive Discussion”