WD Black Green Blue

Discuss and share your WD drive experience
creaton
New here

WD Black Green Blue

Post by creaton »

Hey everyone,
I'm having issue with my new qnap ts 251+.
When I get this device it goes with 1 HDD 4TB WD Black. I didn't install system... but i think there is no issue with that. (my friend installed)
Disk was inserted in slot 1 and system installed. Everything looks really great.
Later I decide to add more space. Unfortunately I only had Green series and 3TB. I install to slot 2 and format drive. So it was 4tb + 3tb.

Few hours after deploy disk suddenly shows as unplugged. Green light stop blinking. Red light start blinking.
I try to remove device and put back. Nothing happens. But when i remove disk and wait couple of minutes and then put it back, all seems works great again. That problem comes back again and again. It might work 1-2 day and then broke. Or it can work few minutes and then issue shows back again.

So,
I decide that something wrong with that 3 tb green disk, purchase 4 TB blue WD. And put to my qnap device. I decide that i have two 4TB so i should make mirror. I make mirror and nas start to sync. I leave it for night and when wake up i saw the same issue.....
slot 2 wasn't present... and red light is blink. I remove disk wait a bit tame and put back. Sync start over and after a day it was synced. I thought that maybe the problem is gone and that issue with sync doesn't link with my previous problem.

Unfortunately problem back and it "unplugged status" few time more....
I start think that maybe the problem with BLACK WD. Maybe it need more energy and 2nd disk shut because of that.....
I put WD blue in slot1 and black to slot2..... same issue slot 2 is "unplugged" after period of time.....

So I replace black WD to green wd in slot2 and issue immediately reproduced.....

Can anyone advice what to do with that? I can upload diag logs etc
Maybe someone already have problem like that?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: WD Black Green Blue

Post by dolbyman »

of all the colors .. you didn't choose the right one .. RED

Green = Energy saving drives with variable spindle speed and excessive head parking and infinite error correction timeout (very bad for a NAS)
Blue = Standard Desktop Drive (5400 RPM?) (not meant for NAS)
Black = Faster Desktop Drives (7200RPM) (Still not meant for NAS)
Purple = Surveillance drives with some optimization for linear write operations (also not meant for NAS, most NAS users will implement RAID)

Red= NAS drives with NAS related features enabled (that's the way to go)

Please contact QNAP via support ticket, you might have a faulty unit
creaton
New here

Post by creaton »

well I didnt buy disks...it was present...

but anyway according support disk qnap page - I can use all series....
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

creaton wrote:well I didnt buy disks...it was present...

but anyway according support disk qnap page - I can use all series....
the green drives are unsupported for sure
TsuTey
Starting out

Post by TsuTey »

Green drives are the worst drives for a NAS, they kill themselves by parking the heads and they are slow
Black drives are faster but they become very hot and the vibrations are too much for a NAS
Blue drives are for desktops and are between green and black
Green, Black and Blue are not designed for 24/7 usage

For a NAS the only color is, as already by a previous post said, Red and Red Pro.
There are more Colors like Gold and Purple but they have different applications. Well, they are compatible with many NAS-Devices
PenguinPete
First post

Post by PenguinPete »

I agree with most that is said here regarding Red vs Blue vs Green vs Black.

The lack of TLER makes the green drives particularly less suitable for a raid system simply because the raid controller and firmware is far better at handling I/O errors. I would disagree with the head parking argument though. There are some that feel that not parking heads when data is not being read/written will actually cause a slightly worse energy efficiency as the heads flying above the platters cause drag. The more heads, the more aerodynamic drag on the spinning disks. The extra drag causes marginally more energy to be consumed. Those that argue that parking the heads aggressively would cause undue wear wear on the landing ramps. After examining more than a few dead drives I can say those landing ramps are designed to pretty much last forever as the heads don't put a huge amount of stress on them. Take a looh at them next time you open up a dead drive and you will see they are pretty much intact on drivers that are well over 10 years

I have been using 3TB WD greens in my NAS boxes - both Qnap and Synology - for a solid 6 years before I ran into any bad blocks knocking a drive out of my my Raid 5 array. And that happened once. The drive that replaced it was a newer WS Blue (there are no more "green" drives being made. The Blue and green lines have been merged into the Blue line. But in any case the replacement was cheap and If I get the same level of performance as the others have given me, then I am still ahead of the game without paying the price of a "red" drive.

I agree that having TLER and better balanced platters work better in a raid array, but you can still get a good amount of service from these cheap "greenies". Just keep a automated smart backup regimen in place and you are good to go.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

'Green' drives are not supported by QNAP.

So the first time you ask them (or the community here) for help with a fault that may be related to your use of 'green' drives, you will be advised to replace them - with supported drives. ;)

Welcome to the forum.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Western Digital Drive Discussion”