<30MB/s transfer btwn two WD RED 3TB HDDs in my TS-431??

Discuss and share your WD drive experience
benlevi
First post

<30MB/s transfer btwn two WD RED 3TB HDDs in my TS-431??

Post by benlevi »

I just installed a second WD RED 3TB HDD into my QNAP TS-431, and i'm only able to achieve <30MB/s transfer speeds between HDD1 and HDD2 ... why so slow?

Any ideas?

Please help.

System:
Windows 7
Ron1963
Been there, done that

Re: <30MB/s transfer btwn two WD RED 3TB HDDs in my TS-431??

Post by Ron1963 »

So how do you copy? I assume with Windows Explorer (so with Samba)? Then this is the speed to be expected, as everything goes via your network (10/100 or Gigabit or even wireless?) and PC/laptop. And if you use encryption on (one of) the drives it's even slower. Also the kind of files you copy is a factor. Small files like pictures is slower than f.i. DVD ISO's.

If you are copying via File Station or create a backup job with Backup Station the action will be much much quicker as everything goes internally over the SATA bus only.
1x TS251, 1x TS251D, 1x TS253
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

2 single disks and no RAID. Risky.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

Ron1963 wrote:So how do you copy? I assume with Windows Explorer (so with Samba)? Then this is the speed to be expected, as everything goes via your network (10/100 or Gigabit or even wireless?) and PC/laptop. And if you use encryption on (one of) the drives it's even slower. Also the kind of files you copy is a factor. Small files like pictures is slower than f.i. DVD ISO's.

If you are copying via File Station or create a backup job with Backup Station the action will be much much quicker as everything goes internally over the SATA bus only.
this pretty much sums it up. internal transfer, filestation for best performance. windows samba will be slower than that :)

for my input here is a review on your ts-431 capabilities
http://www.eteknix.com/qnap-turbo-stati ... as-review/

In the benchmark i don't see internal NAS transfer e.g. using filestation scenario, but there is a copy file/folder from and to the NAS if your interested in the max performance for it :mrgreen:
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Mechant Loup
First post

Post by Mechant Loup »

Ron1963 wrote:So how do you copy? I assume with Windows Explorer (so with Samba)? Then this is the speed to be expected, as everything goes via your network (10/100 or Gigabit or even wireless?) and PC/laptop. And if you use encryption on (one of) the drives it's even slower. Also the kind of files you copy is a factor. Small files like pictures is slower than f.i. DVD ISO's.

As a new TS-431P user (I do not know what the difference to plain -431 is), I have found the performance between WD Reds even on local server-side file transfers to be quite dismal. I think it is the NAS hardware that is at blame here, as it simply cannot seem to cope with the I/O. For instance, SSH'ing into the box and initiating an rsync update between two folders that reside in separate RAID-1 volumes, will dawdle on at a meagre 40MB/s. In fact, running the same rsync between the folders as mapped network shares on a Linux desktop achieves the exact same speed, demonstrating that the two-way network traffic is not taxing enough to bottleneck the process compared to a local over-SATA I/O at the server.
TsuTey
Starting out

Post by TsuTey »

Since you say Windows I would say thats the Problem. To copy from HD1 to HD2 with Windows you download it to your PC, and upload it to the NAS again. Thats how it works in the Background.

Also, use the advantage of the NAS and configure a RAID :D
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Encryption involved?
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +

Return to “Western Digital Drive Discussion”