WD Red NAS Hard Drive WD10EFRX - 1 TB - SATA 6Gb/s

Discuss and share your WD drive experience
anderz21
First post

WD Red NAS Hard Drive WD10EFRX - 1 TB - SATA 6Gb/s

Post by anderz21 »

People,

I have aquired WD Red NAS Hard Drive WD10EFRX - 1 TB - SATA 6Gb/s which is supported according to Qnaps compatibility list.
As NAS I use the QNAP TS-219P Turbo NAS.

The harddrive is "seen" but not "recognized". I have tried the hot swapping method. Did not work.

Now, I have installed the drive, and had it format by Windows since an empty drive should automatically be recognized
and formatted by Qnap. Did not work.

Finally I have manually formatted it via the Qnap admin dashboard. Did not work.

The Qnap sees 2 disks, says they are allright (no errors) but when I want to try to create a RAID system
there is inly 1 drive selectable which is not the WD Red.

Any one knows what I did wrong or how I can activate the newly bought RED drive so it can be integrated
in the RAID and function as normal ?
Don
Guru

Re: WD Red NAS Hard Drive WD10EFRX - 1 TB - SATA 6Gb/s

Post by Don »

New drive should be cleared of all partitions. Then insert the drive and follow the instructions in the manual.

What size is the first drive?

If you are just adding a second drive what are you hot swapping?

Me thinks you are not telling us everything. What is your current firmware? Current config? Exactly what steps did you perform?
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +

Return to “Western Digital Drive Discussion”