WD Red WD80EFZX SMART Functionality

Discuss and share your WD drive experience
AndrewThiele
New here

WD Red WD80EFZX SMART Functionality

Post by AndrewThiele »

Hi,

First time posting, but I have a TS-259 Pro (running latest 4.2.6 firmware) with two new WD Red 8TB WD80EFZX drives that I just purchased. Expanded the RAID 1 (mirrored drives) from WD Red 3TB WD30EFRX to the new 8TB drives.

Everything within the SMART diagnostics showed perfectly healthy drives for the 3TB ones. Going to the 8TB drives, which I don't see on the compatibility list for my model, it showed a warning for the first drive. More specifically it gave a readout for Reallocated_Sector_Ct of Value=100, Worst Value=100, Threshold=005, and Raw Value=1. All other readings are considered good. I also ran a Badblock scan on the drive that came up empty.

I then ran a full SMART test on both drives, the second of which showed perfectly healthy at the start. After the tests completed the first drive remained unchanged with that Reallocated_Sector_Ct Warning, but Drive 2 now had a warning as well. It gave a readout for Current_Pending_Sector of Value=100, Worst Value=100, Threshold=000, and Raw Value=8. All other readings are considered good. Currently running a Badblock scan.

My question is; Seeing as these drives are considered incompatible, would the Disk SMART give correct readings? If so, are these readings bad? I've tried to understand them but to no avail. Should I RMA one or both drives or run them through the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics tool first?

Thanks for any advice. Also, attached screenshots of the SMART readouts for the drives.

Andrew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: WD Red WD80EFZX SMART Functionality

Post by dolbyman »

so just because you got a DOA drive ..does not mean they are incompatible
AndrewThiele
New here

Post by AndrewThiele »

Perhaps "incompatible" is the wrong word. As the QNAP did expand the RAID as expected without error.

But does that mean the SMART system will give correct results? And do the results I have say one or both drives are DOA?

Thanks,

Andrew
Spider99
Experience counts

Post by Spider99 »

Smart will be accurate - nothing to do with disk size

i would not trust my data to these drives

get them replaced under warranty
Tim

TS-853A(16GB): - 4.3.4.0483 - Static volume - Raid5 - 8 x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS
Windows Server + StableBit Drivepool and Scanner ~115 TB Backup Server
TS-412 & TS-459 Pro II: Retired
Clients: 3 x Windows 10 Pro(64bit)
AndrewThiele
New here

Post by AndrewThiele »

Spider99 wrote:Smart will be accurate - nothing to do with disk size

i would not trust my data to these drives

get them replaced under warranty
Hi, thanks for the reply Tim. I called WD and they told me if the drives passed in their software then they're fine. But I bought them from Newegg and thus called them. They agreed to RMA both drives. I just hope the new drives don't showcase the same issues and pass the WD tests again. It's hard to compare the results to the WD tool as it doesn't show the RAW value so I'd just have to take their word for it. It's a bit worrisome.

But will update this once the new drives are here and tested.

In the attachments you can see the results of CrystalDiskInfo, WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic, and a more recent SMART test of the drives in the QNAP.

Any further suggestions or insight is always welcome.

Thanks,

Andrew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fio316a
New here

Post by fio316a »

Hi Andrew,

Did you have any luck with the WD 8TB drives in your TS-259 Pro? I'm looking to upgrade and am unsure if I should go with 6TB or 8TB.

Thanks.

Robert

Return to “Western Digital Drive Discussion”