qnap 451a WD gold 10tb

Discuss and share your WD drive experience
P3R
Guru

Re: qnap 451a WD gold 10tb

Post by P3R »

reversebass wrote:PS. Does the HGST has this kind od WD's TLER?
TLER is a WD marketing term but yes, all Enterprise and NAS disks have the equivalent functionality.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

reversebass wrote:Ok so gold or HGST? Think they are the same ones?
They're at least very, very close. Get the one that you get the best deal on.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
reversebass
Starting out

Post by reversebass »

ok great. Think the promo will end before i buy it and will go for cheaper hgst.. i trust the hgst more in person... think there will be no complications with 253a? And the 253a-8g will be ok for my use i think? Could you help me with it?

PS. think about that adapter for the 253a:

https://www.transcend-info.com/Products/No-396
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

reversebass wrote:Ok so gold or HGST? Think they are the same ones?
Doesn't matter if they're the same or not, what matters is the compat list if you want Qnap support.
reversebass
Starting out

Post by reversebass »

HUH721010ALE604 is on the list too
reversebass
Starting out

Post by reversebass »

PS. which will be suitable for my needs? (gigabit lan connection, smart home, 4 ip cams in the future, 40 tb drives, 4 phones backup, 2 laptops backup, DSLR SD Card backup, some download from time to time, plex and chromecast streaming 3-4 tv FHD -not the same time)
https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product/con ... t_overview

451A-8g, 453A-8g, 453B-8g? and which is the best from those - 453b?

Is it better that 451A has 4gb of flash and 453's 512mb?

Sorry for newbie questions, but would like to get some experts opinion ;)
Last edited by reversebass on Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

PS. which will be suitable for my needs? (gigabit lan connection, smart home, 4 ip cams in the future, 40 tb drives, 4 phones backup, 2 laptops backup, DSL SD Card backup, some download from time to time, plex and chromecast streaming 3-4 tv FHD -not the same time)
smart home ? .. any needs for containers or VM's ? .. then the more CPU and RAM the better .. otherwise, very low specs needed
Is it better that 451A has 4gb of flash and 453's 512mb?
Irrelevant for performance, it's just the boot image location
reversebass
Starting out

Post by reversebass »

ok so 453a just with the hd station, streaming and some backups will be ok? i would buy 451a for my needs but dont know if the trays are compatible with wd gold 10tb or hgst he10 10tb...
reversebass
Starting out

Post by reversebass »

ps. think there are new trays with 3 holes each side on all new qnaps as i seen. there is the gold 10tb back http://www.pcdiy.com.tw/assets/images/7 ... ad4d8.jpeg

think should suit. he10 too...
zagan
Starting out

Post by zagan »

reversebass wrote:Hello.

I am planning to buy an qnap 451a-8g NAS and buy 4x 10tb wd gold hard drive (WD101KRYZ). Will the nas fully support the drives and are the standard trays compatible with this drives? Which additional trays would i eventually buy to support the drives. It is not listed on the compatibility list.

Do you have other 10tb drives to support the standard 451a tray?

Maybe for this drive i should buy 453b?
Hard drives are in set sizes.
Desktop 3.5 inch
Laptop 2.5 inch
Ssd full size 2.5 inch
Ssd credit card size 1.8 inch

The trays take all the sizes, trays on 451a are plast can be uparaded to metal.

Wd reds last for 3 years
Wd red pros last for 5 years
Wd gold / enterprise last for 10 years.

Size I don't think matters, but formatting 40 gig, setting up the raid etc might take a while.

Ip cameras will require an extra lic or 2 it comes with 3 standard though seen sit's that give 5 lic oUT of the box span . Com.

For all the uses the 451a will be ok I think but the 453b would probably handle things nicer faster cpu that one handles 3.5 4k streams.

As for the compatibility list the 451a probably isn't on the list simply due to it not being super old, it came out in April 2017, it has 100% full support in every way.

Simply posting for anyone else looking at this setup
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

"Wd gold / enterprise last for 10 years." - wishful thinking! They only have 5 year's warranty.

Return to “Western Digital Drive Discussion”