qnap 451a WD gold 10tb

Discuss and share your WD drive experience
reversebass
Starting out

qnap 451a WD gold 10tb

Post by reversebass »

Hello.

I am planning to buy an qnap 451a-8g NAS and buy 4x 10tb wd gold hard drive (WD101KRYZ). Will the nas fully support the drives and are the standard trays compatible with this drives? Which additional trays would i eventually buy to support the drives. It is not listed on the compatibility list.

Do you have other 10tb drives to support the standard 451a tray?

Maybe for this drive i should buy 453b?
P3R
Guru

Re: qnap 451a WD gold 10tb

Post by P3R »

reversebass wrote:Will the nas fully support the drives and are the standard trays compatible with this drives?
That was a problem with older model NASes when larger disks with a new screw pattern showed up but as far as I think, all current models have disk trays that support either screw pattern. Wait for someone having TS-451A to confirm though or ask Qnap to be absolutely sure.
It is not listed on the compatibility list.
True but it's an Enterprise disk that's listed as compatible with several other Qnap models so I wouldn't expect any issues though. It's most likely only that they haven't tested that disk in that NAS model yet.
Maybe for this drive i should buy 453b?
It's not listed as compatible with the TS-453B either. Unless you pick a NAS model that have that specific disk on the compatibility list, disk compatibility isn't the reason why you should select a different model. I would instead select the NAS model that have the features you require and best fits your usage and budget.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
physh
Starting out

Post by physh »

Even though there are pretty sweet deals on WD Gold series, there is just one drawback - they are significantly louder than the RED series, and can really start getting on your nerves if its in your study or living room.
Can't tell you about 10 TB, but 4 TB runs perfect on 469l :D
reversebass
Starting out

Post by reversebass »

ok, i would even buy wd red 10tb for 451A-8G (ideal for me)
- but does the standard trays are compatible with the 451a? in the compatibility list it says that.
-Think it will be good for normal backup home use and will last long?
-The only things that pushes me to GOLD is time-limited error recovery (TLER). Is it really so important? (PS. Googled that RED support TLER too?)
-How about the rpm and power efficiency? Will i see the difference between 5400 and 7200? If so, when i will buy Red Pro, will it be any problems with screws and compatibility as with GOLD?
-And will the drives will be good for home camera monitoring system 4-6 cams?
- I would install it in the basement "studio"area but as it has HDMI out, is it any HDMI transmitter to connect this hdmi wireless instead of cable? Got chromecast on tv, but want this HDMI only for qnap output like HD Station etc.

Sorry bout lots of questions, but im new in NAS topic and would like to buy best. The only thing i know is i want to join the QNAP TEAM:)
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

10TB Golds are not approved, end of debate
Surprised you found Golds clunky.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

reversebass wrote:-Think it will be good for normal backup home use...
Yes.
...and will last long?
I'm sorry, I have no crystal ball available currently so I can't predict the future right now. :wink:
-The only things that pushes me to GOLD is time-limited error recovery (TLER). Is it really so important?
Yes it's important in a NAS but WD Red have it as well.

WD Red is a very cheap disk with average longetivity while WD Gold is a true Enterprise product that's much better engineered and have rotational vibration correction and detection to name just one thing.

If I were to choose between Red and Gold, the things that would push me towards either model are:
  • Gold - the hugely better specifications for Non-recoverable read errors per bits read (10 times better), MTBF (2.5 times better) and the 5 year warranty (as opposed to 3 years for WD Red). Those are important to look at when selecting a disk! Also performance is better but that really won't make any big difference on a gigabit network as that will be the bottleneck anyway.
  • Red - if the absolute least sound, low power consumption or low purchase price was a deal breaker for me.
To make a fair price comparison, you should divide the purchase price with the number of years of warranty (the time that you can be sure you won't need to buy a replacement), so price/3 for Red and price/5 for Gold. Many times Enterprise disks are then actually less costly and you get the better engineering and superior specifications for free.
-How about the rpm and power efficiency? Will i see the difference between 5400 and 7200?
Absolutely. WD Red is the most silent disk I have (barely) heard and it uses less power. Check out their respective specifications:
-And will the drives will be good for home camera monitoring system 4-6 cams?
Considering that I would definitely prefer Enterprise disks over a low end NAS disk like WD Red.

Please also be aware that a TS-451A only have 2 camera licenses included and you would have to purchase the additional licenses separately at $59.99 each. This may actually make a TS-453A or TS-453B a better deal for you as they both include 4 camera licences in addition to offering better hardware. TS-453A actually lists WD Gold 10 TB as compatible as well but personally I wouldn't worry about Gold with either of these NAS models. I have seen a TS-853A (judging by pictures, TS-453A is the same) and those disk trays support the larger disks.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

storageman wrote:10TB Golds are not approved, end of debate
They're listed as compatible with the following Qnap models:
[2-Bay]
TS-251+ TS-251C TS-253A

[4-Bay]
TS-419P TS-419P II TS-419P+ TS-419U TS-419U II TS-419U+ TS-420 TS-420-D TS-420U TS-421 TS-421U TS-431U TS-431X TS-431X2 TS-431XeU TS-431XU TS-431XU-RP TS-451+ TS-451U TS-453 Pro TS-453A TS-453mini TS-453U TS-453U-RP TS-463U TS-463U-RP TS-470 TS-470 Pro TS-470U-RP TS-470U-SP TVS-463 TVS-470 TVS-471 TVS-471U TVS-471U-RP

[5-Bay]
TS-531P TS-563 TX-500P UX-500P

[6-Bay]
TS-651 TS-653 Pro TS-653A TS-670 TS-670 Pro TS-677 TVS-663 TVS-670 TVS-671 TVS-682 TVS-682T

[8-Bay]
TS-831X TS-831XU TS-831XU-RP TS-851 TS-853 Pro TS-853A TS-853U TS-853U-RP TS-863U TS-863U-RP TS-870 TS-870 Pro TS-870U-RP TS-877 TS-879 Pro TS-879U-RP TS-EC879U-RP TS-EC880 Pro TS-EC880U TS-EC880U R2 TVS-863 TVS-863+ TVS-870 TVS-871 TVS-871T TVS-871U-RP TVS-882 TVS-882T TVS-EC880 TX-800P UX-800P UX-800U-RP

[10-Bay]
REXP-1000 Pro TS-1079 Pro TS-EC1080 Pro TVS-EC1080 TVS-EC1080+

[12-Bay]
REXP-1200U-RP REXP-1220U-RP TS-1231XU TS-1231XU-RP TS-1253U TS-1253U-RP TS-1263U TS-1263U-RP TS-1270U-RP TS-1277 TS-1279U-RP TS-EC1279U-RP TS-EC1279U-SAS-RP TS-EC1280U TS-EC1280U R2 TVS-1271U-RP TVS-1282 TVS-1282T TVS-1282T3 TVS-EC1280U-SAS-RP TVS-EC1280U-SAS-RP R2 UX-1200U-RP

[16-Bay]
REXP-1600U-RP REXP-1620U-RP TDS-16489U TS-1635 TS-1679U-RP TS-1685 TS-EC1679U-RP TS-EC1679U-SAS-RP TS-EC1680U TS-EC1680U R2 TVS-EC1680U-SAS-RP TVS-EC1680U-SAS-RP R2

[18-Bay]
TES-1885U(QES) TES-1885U(QTS)

[24-Bay]
TS-EC2480U TS-EC2480U R2 TVS-EC2480U-SAS-RP TVS-EC2480U-SAS-RP R2

[15-Bay]
TVS-1582TU TVS-EC1580MU-SAS-RP TVS-EC1580MU-SAS-RP R2

Based on the above, I personally wouldn't worry about using them in other current Qnap models as well.

reversebass
Starting out

Post by reversebass »

thank you for the response i dont want a 453a because of no sd card slot and usb quick access, which are important to me. I could buy SD card reader fot 453a but quick access? Maybe it is not important in all computers home usage? The cameras are the thing of the far future, so i would buy the licenses then. Will the Red or Red pro for 451a-8g (gigabit interface, most plex and chromecast streaming, 2-4 cameras in the future, some HDstation, laptops and phones backup, some download) will be more suitable for me? What would you buy? Red,Red Pro or some other 10tb drive?
Or 453a with usb sd card slot reader and golds will be best option? (if usb card reader will be ok to connect to qnap 453a (or some sd to usb "pendrive"like adapter), will be great and I would go without quick access if all of my home computers will be in network all time, right?

PS. note with the 453a gold compatibility: A corresponding hard drive tray is required as the screw port design of the HDD models has been changed by their manufacturers

but the same goes with 853a and you saw it running
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

reversebass wrote:Will the Red or Red pro for 451a-8g (gigabit interface, most plex and chromecast streaming, 2-4 cameras in the future, some HDstation, laptops and phones backup, some download) will be more suitable for me?
Only you know your budget limitations but that sounds like a lot and I would definitely prefer the Quad core CPU of TS-453A/B over a TS-451A. I'm not even sure TS-X53A/B will have enough horsepower for all of that.

Keep expectations at a reasonable level with these fairly small models!
What would you buy? Red,Red Pro or some other 10tb drive?
Red Pro are hugely overpriced compared with the normally less costly and far better specified direct competitor Seagate Ironwolf Pro.

I love my WD Reds, used at a location where silence is important but other than that I only buy disks that have a Non-recoverable read errors per bits read 1 in 10^15 specification and a 5 year warranty because they are less costly per year with warranty. I use Seagate Ironwolf Pro and HGST Ultrastar but I wouldn't hesitate a second if I could get WD Golds at a decent price.
PS. note with the 453a gold compatibility: A corresponding hard drive tray is required as the screw port design of the HDD models has been changed by their manufacturers

but the same goes with 853a and you saw it running
Yes I know. Qnap could manage that compatibility list better. That note is mainly relevant for old NAS models (listed if you follow the link), not marketed any more. I would be surprised if any of the current model disk trays didn't support the larger disks.

reversebass
Starting out

Post by reversebass »

I would prefer the best for my needs for not huge money. So the best for me would be 453A-8G and 4x 10tb GOLD ones? (think in the future GOLDS will be cheaper then RED PRO too) and some SD CARD Reader on usb or "SD dongle" for USB) Think i would connect the qnap not in the living room but as mentioned studio basement which is in acoustic foams etc and i sit there only from time to time, so the noise wont bother me.. PS. Got there an Gigabit switch and other Intel SS-4000-E nas with 8 TB RAID1 (some HGST ENTERPRISES 7200'S), but only for backup the old files nothing more and running slowly out of space so the qnap should be "future proof" horsepower for smart home (some ferguson kit ), IP CAM's, PLEX streaming,chromecast, DLNA (have it on each tv) , 3 smartphones backup (thats why 40tb storage). I wouldn't upgrade it ever so it should last long..Got all drives (2 laptops, Intel NAS etc) HGST or hitachi 7200 and happy with it, but if the GOLDS are best and fully compatible with 453a-8g i will go with it, especially as they are cheaper than RED Pro. Is this a good decision? ( Got some time before run out of space so I will buy NAS first, after one month one GOLD, then second, 3rd and 4th.. Thank you for some clear points, thought that even some ARM models can handle this tasks and 451A will have a lot of "unload power", but as you say this...:)

PS. would be nice that somebody from qnap or anyone who has it would confirm the compatibility of 453A-8G and 10tb golds?

What i found about drives:

The differences for 10TB drives are (Red Pro specs, Gold specs):
Slight bump in performance. Gold can do 249MB/s, Red Pro can do 240MB/s.
Gold has an MTBF of 2.5 million hours, Red Pro only 1 million.
Gold has an annual failure rate spec, Red Pro does not.
Red Pro has a workload rate of 300TB/yr, Gold's specs are defined for a workload of 219TB/yr but the drives are designed for 550TB/yr.
Gold is more power hungry. 7.1/6.7W for sequential read/write vs. 5.7W on the Red Pro. 5W idle vs. 2.8W on the Red Pro.
Gold has a higher operating shock rating of 70G vs. 30G read write, 65G read only on the Red Pro.
Gold is slightly louder on seeks at 36dBA vs. 29dBA
Gold weighs 10g more than a Red Pro.
TL;DR: Gold is specced to be more reliable but consumes more power.

About the price, dont know how long the promo in online shop on my country will last, but it is cheaper than red pro, normally about the same price...
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Red Pros and Golds are made by different parts of WD and compete against each other.
For Golds think HGST Ultrastar (SATA)!
reversebass
Starting out

Post by reversebass »

storageman wrote:Red Pros and Golds are made by different parts of WD and compete against each other.
For Golds think HGST Ultrastar (SATA)!
Do you mean HGST ULTRASTAR HE10 10TB 3,5" (0F27604)
As i said, i trust the hitachi-hgst most...but..

Will there be some problems with compatibility? I suppose no..

The price is quite the same i suppose with gold's promo..

"The limited information we have on the 8 TB Gold Enterprise HDDs indicates that it is nearly a carbon copy of the HGST Ultrastar He8 Series we recently tested. We asked WD for comment, and it indicated that it is employing technologies across both brands, which includes, but is not limited to, mechanical components, electronics and firmware. This slots in perfectly with the MOFCOM requirements. "
http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/wd-hg ... -3248.html

PS. Does the HGST has this kind od WD's TLER?

They look the same (and the screws)

https://icdn3.digitaltrends.com/image/w ... ?ver=1.jpg

http://rad-sat.com.pl/shop/174210-thick ... b-512e.jpg
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

It's no big deal and clearly a win win, especially for those people who have always valued HGST technology.
It was inevitable when HGST was sold to WD they would not duplicate production and here's an example.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

reversebass wrote:What i found about drives:

The differences for 10TB drives are (Red Pro specs, Gold specs):...
Due to a very deceiving marketing trick by WD you as so many others missed the very important difference in Non-recoverable read errors per bits read.
Gold: <1 in 10^15
Red Pro: <10 in 10^15

But <10 in 10^15 is exactly the same as <1 in 10^14! So that specification for Red Pro isn't better than any of the cheapest desktop disks and not what you should settle for in a Pro NAS disk. Also Seagate Ironwolf Pro is usually less costly.

As far as I know Red Pro is the only disk in the industry (all other WD disks included) that have a specification like that because they know that most people only look for and expect 10^15 when in reality for Red Pro it's only 10^14. Shame on WD for that scam!

Gold is simply a much better disk than Red Pro.

reversebass
Starting out

Post by reversebass »

Ok so gold or HGST? Think they are the same ones?

Return to “Western Digital Drive Discussion”