TS 451+ Shucked drive 8 TB not adding TB to total

Discuss and share your WD drive experience
cmdinla
New here

TS 451+ Shucked drive 8 TB not adding TB to total

Post by cmdinla »

Hi,

Please forgive if this has been asked and answered before.

I purchased an WD Easystore 8 TB and shucked the drive. It is a white label drive - WD80EDAZ. I had been researching what to do to get the NAS to recognize the drive. I used DISKPART command to delete all the partitions, then using Disk management, I created a simple volume and formatted the drive.

I put the drive (slot 3) in my TS 451+ and started it up. It spun up the drive and started automatically to rebuild the RAID. It completed the rebuild and everything seems to to okay, except that the 8TB is not reflected in the total space available. SO I'm assuming that even though it sees the drive and rebuilds the RAID, that it is not available..

I go to Storage and Snapshots and click on the drive.. it shows that it's good.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

CMDINLA..
P3R
Guru

Re: TS 451+ Shucked drive 8 TB not adding TB to total

Post by P3R »

The smallest drive in a RAID always determine the capacity used on all drives in a RAID so it won't be possible to use the additional capacity of the 8 TB disk until all disks in the RAID are 8 TB or larger.

If all disks in the RAID are 8 TB or larger, you need to select Replace Disks One by One on the RAID group and do the expansion there. If you're using storage pools you may also need to expand the volume.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
cmdinla
New here

Post by cmdinla »

Thanks for the information.

Another question..

All the drives except disk 3 are 6TB.. Disk 3 is 8TB. Will the RAID group use the 6TB or the 8TB. From your response, I'm guessing no.. that Disk 3 should be a 6TB.

Thanks,
CMDINLA
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Only 6 TB out of the 8 TB on disk 3 can be used until all other disks are 8 TB or larger.

Gradually replacing drives with larger ones as they fail is a good way to slowly upgrade the storage capacity. I currently use that long-term capacity upgrade strategy on 2 of my personal NASes.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
cmdinla
New here

Post by cmdinla »

Thanks, P3R.

I appreciate the information. I just may have to go buy some new drives. :DD

CMDINLA

Return to “Western Digital Drive Discussion”