Hdd wd nas 3tb EFRX LOCKED

Discuss and share your WD drive experience
Diejeitor
Starting out

Hdd wd nas 3tb EFRX LOCKED

Post by Diejeitor »

hi i have 2 hdd wd nas 3tb efrx that come from a synology nas, one of them works fine but the other one is locked with an ATA password. I have tried to unblock it by ssh with the hdparm command but I think the version that qnap brings to hdparm is very old, is there a way to update hdparm or can it be unlocked in another way?

P.S. I don't have any other computer to connect the disk.
OneCD
Guru

Re: Hdd wd nas 3tb EFRX LOCKED

Post by OneCD »

Diejeitor wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:38 pm hi i have 2 hdd wd nas 3tb efrx that come from a synology nas, one of them works fine but the other one is locked with an ATA password. I have tried to unblock it by ssh with the hdparm command but I think the version that qnap brings to hdparm is very old, is there a way to update hdparm or can it be unlocked in another way?
I've just checked and both QTS 4.2.6 and QTS 4.5.1 include version 6.1 of 'hdparm' which has the required options (specifically '--security-unlock'):

Code: Select all

ATA Security Options:
 --security-freeze              Freeze security settings (until next reset)
 --security-unlock PWD          Unlock drive, using password PWD (DANGEROUS)
 --security-set-pass PWD        Lock drive, using password PWD (DANGEROUS)
 --security-disable PWD         Disable drive locking, using password PWD (DANGEROUS) 
 --security-mode MODE           Specify user/master password and high/maximum security 
        u       user password, high security 
        U       user password, maximum security 
        m       master password, high security 
        M       master password, maximum security 
What is the model of your NAS? What firmware and build number is installed? What happens when you try to unlock the drive?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Diejeitor
Starting out

Post by Diejeitor »

OneCD wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:59 am
Diejeitor wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:38 pm hi i have 2 hdd wd nas 3tb efrx that come from a synology nas, one of them works fine but the other one is locked with an ATA password. I have tried to unblock it by ssh with the hdparm command but I think the version that qnap brings to hdparm is very old, is there a way to update hdparm or can it be unlocked in another way?
I've just checked and both QTS 4.2.6 and QTS 4.5.1 include version 6.1 of 'hdparm' which has the required options (specifically '--security-unlock'):

Code: Select all

ATA Security Options:
 --security-freeze              Freeze security settings (until next reset)
 --security-unlock PWD          Unlock drive, using password PWD (DANGEROUS)
 --security-set-pass PWD        Lock drive, using password PWD (DANGEROUS)
 --security-disable PWD         Disable drive locking, using password PWD (DANGEROUS) 
 --security-mode MODE           Specify user/master password and high/maximum security 
        u       user password, high security 
        U       user password, maximum security 
        m       master password, high security 
        M       master password, maximum security 
What is the model of your NAS? What firmware and build number is installed? What happens when you try to unlock the drive?

I have already seen that and indeed the problem is not there, the disk is locked by ATA password, we have managed to unlock it by connecting it to a desktop pc through Ubuntu Live and it is operational but when we unplug it from the desktop computer and connect it to the NAS it lock again.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Diejeitor wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:56 am I have already seen that and indeed the problem is not there, the disk is locked by ATA password, we have managed to unlock it by connecting it to a desktop pc through Ubuntu Live and it is operational but when we unplug it from the desktop computer and connect it to the NAS it lock again.
Does this drive need to remain password-locked? Can you disable the password with '--security-disable PWD' ?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Diejeitor
Starting out

Post by Diejeitor »

OneCD wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:43 am
Diejeitor wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:56 am I have already seen that and indeed the problem is not there, the disk is locked by ATA password, we have managed to unlock it by connecting it to a desktop pc through Ubuntu Live and it is operational but when we unplug it from the desktop computer and connect it to the NAS it lock again.
Does this drive need to remain password-locked? Can you disable the password with '--security-disable PWD' ?
iyes, this was done using ubuntu live and while it is in ubuntu it lets work with the disk but when installing it in Qnap it shows a red led and when applying hdparm -I it shows that it is unlocked but frozen.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Sorry, I’m out of ideas. Maybe someone else can suggest something?

Diejeitor
Starting out

Post by Diejeitor »

OneCD wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:03 am Sorry, I’m out of ideas. Maybe someone else can suggest something?
Thanks for your help

Return to “Western Digital Drive Discussion”