WD RED plus Rotational speeds - really 7200, not 5400

Discuss and share your WD drive experience
wilsodg
Know my way around

WD RED plus Rotational speeds - really 7200, not 5400

Post by wilsodg »

In December 2020 I purchased some WD 14tb RedPlus drives WD140EFFX. The stated rotational speed was 5400 (still is). Unfortunately, 3 of the 6 were DOA, and I am still awaiting replacement but in any case decided I would just purchase some more (it being the first WD Red failure I had in 7 years from 50+ drives). On checking, I note that everywhere now lists these drives as 7200 rotational speed. Same model type etc. - except that is, the WD site marketing literature, although the drive specs list it as 7200.
It seems that the EFAX 8TB, 10TB, and 12TB drives, and the EFFX 14TB drives all spin at 7200 rpm (and always have), but were previously marketed as 5400 rpm drives because that was the 'class' they fitted in.
For select products, Western Digital has published RPM speed within a “class” or “performance class” for numerous years rather than publishing specific spindle speeds. We also fine-tune select hard drive platforms and the related HDD characteristics to create several different variations of such platforms to meet different market or application needs. By doing so, we are able to leverage our economies of scale and pass along those savings to our customers. As with every Western Digital product, our product details, which include power, acoustics and performance (data transfer rate), are tested to meet the specifications provided on the product’s data sheet and marketing collateral.
I see some posts where folk comment that new drives run hotter or consume more power or make more noise than smaller drives when swapped - maybe this is the reason. Either way, maybe double check the real spin speed of what you are fitting rather than the marketing literature. But maybe also, I am sure some users have same capacity drives with differing rotational speeds in the same array.
TVS-872XT with TR-004 and D800C
TS670Pro with UX500-P expansion
TS569Pro
wilsodg
Know my way around

Re: WD RED plus Rotational speeds - really 7200, not 5400

Post by wilsodg »

TVS-872XT with TR-004 and D800C
TS670Pro with UX500-P expansion
TS569Pro

Return to “Western Digital Drive Discussion”