Experience with the WD80EFAX in TS-230?

Discuss and share your WD drive experience
plate
Starting out

Experience with the WD80EFAX in TS-230?

Post by plate »

Hello,

as stated in another Thread, I‘m not really satisfied with the compatibility list for the TS-230. As there is no compatible 8TB drive with 5400 rpm targeting home users. Apart from that the Toshiba N300 doesn‘t have best reviews on the internet.

And I‘m not happy with not buying the disk which suits my requirements only because QNAP doesn‘t or isn‘t willing to test it (especially as one single 8TB NAS drive is more expensive than the NAS itself).

So I thought a while about using the WD Red Plus 8 TB WD80EFAX which I finally bought and use it in my NAS (TS-230, QTS 4.5.2).
So far I use it in a none RAID configuration. I made a storage pool out of the disk and using several volumes with it.

In my understanding, using the in a non raid configuration shouldn‘t encounter any problems even if it is not in the compatibility list. Is this true?

Are there any experiences with the WD80EFAX in the TS-230? If anything is fine or the drive finally will be in the compatibility list, I‘m thinking to buy another one and change to a RAID 1 configuration.

Thanks in advance.

Greetings,

plate

Return to “Western Digital Drive Discussion”