sata 3.3 and PWDIS?

Discuss and share your WD drive experience
rob1
Starting out

sata 3.3 and PWDIS?

Post by rob1 »

so i have a ts851 with 8x 6tb WD60EFRX and got a warning so ordered a WD60EFZX as thats the closest matching CMR disk. Couldnt get the drive to be detected in my NAS, USB caddy or my PC, all i could get from my pc was some IO/device error. I've assumed it is a simple dead on arrival and sent it back for a replacement to the store, but my mate mentioned that it could be a sata 3.3 thing. ive tried looking on the WD website and cant find any details which indicate if it is using v3.3 or not so wondering if anyone has any info that could point me in the right direction
thewolfe
Starting out

Re: sata 3.3 and PWDIS?

Post by thewolfe »

I used the "order again" feature in Best Buy to replace a WD60EFRX ... I received a WD60EFZX and read that it's the replacement drive for that series.

My QNAP TS-453mini wouldn't recognize the drive, I figured it was DOA so I returned it. When I got home, I re-ordered the drive. I again received a WD60EFZX and tried to connect it. Again, it's not recognized by the NAS.

I put it in my Dell and it wasn't recognized. I figured it was a bad batch as the manufacturing dates match. I remembered I have an SATA to USB drive dock. I inserted the drive and connected it to my Mac. It was recognized as an unformatted drive.

I'm kinda stuck now, but will probably open a ticket with QNAP given the newness of the drive.
thewolfe
Starting out

Post by thewolfe »

QNAP's reply, "WD60EFZX is not compatible for TS-453Mini."
thewolfe
Starting out

Post by thewolfe »

Update.

I was able to locate a WD60EFRX on Amazon. However, it died recently and I was able to RMA it with WD. However, they sent me a WD60EFZX.

I figured, maybe the firmware had been updated or the newer QNAP OS (5.0.x) that I'd installed would allow the drive to be recognized. To my surprised, it worked. The raid is currently rebuilding.

Return to “Western Digital Drive Discussion”