TR-004 not being recognized on any machine or cable.

Discuss and share your WD drive experience
sergeydgr8
New here

TR-004 not being recognized on any machine or cable.

Post by sergeydgr8 »

I bought two new TR-004 units from different places (one from Amazon, the other from B&H). Both are not being recognized by either my Mac or Windows desktop, with and without drives. I've tried switching cables, trying USB-C to USB-C, USB-C to USB-A, nothing works. The status light for USB does not flash on either.

As this is happening with two brand-new units, I don't want to believe that I received two faulty devices. Is there something that I need to do onto the device so that USB works? I've tried every possible combination of connection, on both my Mac and my desktop tower. I've tried different USB ports, and even USB 2.0. Nothing is working.

Please advise on what would be the way to fix this situation.

Edit to add:

The behavior that happens when disks are installed is the following: The disks spin up, the status lights individually light up as green. HDD 1 then turns into a red color, and then an orange/amber color. Then HDD2, HDD3, and then HDD4. This happens no matter if the RAID settings are set to software, JBOD, Raid 0, Raid 10, or individual. Issue persists on all modes. Here's a video showing what's going on with the LED's: https://streamable.com/zjsmvq

I've verified that the disks are NOT the issue -- another TR-002 unit accepted and read them perfectly fine.
sergeydgr8
New here

Re: TR-004 not being recognized on any machine or cable.

Post by sergeydgr8 »

I've put in a different drive (a smaller, 8TB drive) and my computer picked up on it. I was able to see the device in the QNAP External RAID Manager. The firmware version was 1.0.4, and I updated to 1.1.1 with hopes that it would solve my issue. I confirmed in the ERM that the firmware is, indeed, 1.1.1. However, after putting in my original drives, the behavior was still exactly the same.

The enclosure does work, but it seems that 20TB drives are currently causing issues for specifically the TR-004. The TR-002, on the other hand, accepts them perfectly fine.

For more information, my drives are Western Digital WD200EDGZ. These work on the TR-002, but not yet on the TR-004. The drive that made my TR-004 work to update the firmware was a WD80EMAZ.

Given the last firmware update was in 2020 and 2023 is a couple weeks away, I hope QNAP can release a new version to accept these drives and bring parity to the compatibility with the TR-002.
sergeydgr8
New here

White label WD200EDGZ on TR-004 and TR-002

Post by sergeydgr8 »

I've bought EasyStore drives and shucked mine to build out a new DAS with the TR-004. I also bought a TR-002 for another machine. For anyone reading this, please be aware that the firmware on the TR-004 is 2.5 years old at this time of writing, and the firmware for the TR-002 is just under 2 years old.

The drives worked perfectly fine on the TR-002. The enclosure recognized them, loaded, and I was able to set up RAID on it just fine. No issues there.

On the TR-004 however, it's a completely different story. I wrote down my experience in this post, tl;dr is that the enclosure spins up the drives and returns an amber colored HDD status light and errors out. I initially thought that the enclosure was broken, and returned one and bought another from a different store, but the behavior persists in both. I plugged in a smaller drive, a WD80EMAZ, and it worked fine. I updated the firmware to 1.1.1 (6/2020 release), but the issue still persists even on the latest firmware with the WD200EDGZ.

Given it's been a couple years since there's been an update on the firmware, I hope QNAP can resolve this issue and provide an update for the TR-004 to support larger sized drives. There is demand for it, so I hope there is some movement from this post!
dolbyman
Guru

Re: White label WD200EDGZ on TR-004 and TR-002

Post by dolbyman »

Did you open a ticket with QNAP ?

P.S.
I merged both topics..no need to open more than one thread
sergeydgr8
New here

Re: White label WD200EDGZ on TR-004 and TR-002

Post by sergeydgr8 »

I'm about to open a ticket with them.

Edit to add: just submitted one. Hopefully they can get back in a timely manner -- and maybe release a new firmware update.
sergeydgr8
New here

Post by sergeydgr8 »

Just want to follow up on the last post. I reached out to QNAP, and they said that they don't support the drive. However, they did have a firmware update listed on their site, which they then pulled off due to some bugs. As of this past week, the new firmware update is now online, and the enclosure recognized the drives! So, to anyone reading this, here's how to solve your issue with 20TB drives:

1. Find another SATA drive to plug into the enclosure.
2. Download the latest firmware from https://www.qnap.com/en-us/download?mod ... y=firmware (1.2.0 at time of writing)
3. Update the enclosure's firmware via QNAP ERM
4. Install your new drives and set up RAID the way you want to.
fra_c_rm
First post

Post by fra_c_rm »

Hi,
i have the same problem, my question is : how I can update the firmware at last release if my TY-U004 is not recognized by my nas or my pc? I have tried to connect my pc with QNAP ERM to TR-U004 but EMR doesn't recognize it.
Please help me. Thanks

Franco
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Open a ticket

Return to “Western Digital Drive Discussion”