Can't find Server

Plex allows you to aggregate all your personal media and access it anywhere you go. Enjoy your own media on all your devices with the Plex Media Server.
0079883@gmail.com
First post

Can't find Server

Post by 0079883@gmail.com »

Newbie here... need some help.

I'm trying to set a Plex Server on a QNAP TS-251+. I'll be using the NAS to store a decade worth of family photos which will be streamed to our devices - primarily, an ATV4. I'm having an access getting the Plex Server set up for the first time on the QNAP. Here's what I've done so far.

1. Set up the QNAP. I'm connecting through a MacBook, Safari on the same home network. I updated the firmware.
2. I opened two Finder windows and added some photos and videos, dragged and dropped from the MacBook to the QNAP under the MultiMedia folder.
3. I downloaded the Plex Server from the QNAP AppCenter. Download was successful. Clicked on "Open" and a new Safari Tab opened that said, "can't open server" or something similar. Reviewed FAQs and such and determined that the AppCenter Plex App is usually a bit outdated. I then "Removed" the App from the QNAP AppCenter.
4. Travelled to https://www.plex.tv/downloads/, and downloaded the Media Server. Details below:
A. Plex Media Server for QNAP Version 1.6.1.3722-4955e31cf, April 26, 2017
B. Intel-64 Bit (is this right?)
5. I went back to the QNAP MediaCenter and did a Manual Install of the following: PlexMediaServer_1.6.1.3722-4955e31cf_x86_64.qpkg. Installation was quick and successful: "The App has been installed and is ready to use."
6. In AppCenter, went to My Apps. Plex Media Server is listed. I clicked "Open". A new tab in Safari opens that says:
"Safari Can't Connect to the Server
Safari can't open the page "https://MYSERVERNAME.myqnapcloud.com:32400/web" because Safari can't connect to the server "https://MYSERVERNAME.myqnapcloud.com".
7. The Event Logs say "Plex Media Server hasn't been enabled or started..."

Questions: Why is Plex Media Server having trouble finding the server? How do I get around this?

A couple thoughts and notes:
1. I encrypted the hard drives on initial install. Could this be somehow preventing Plex from reaching the server?
2. I downloaded the Plex app on the ATV4. The ATV4 app sees the server and is connected. However, it reveals no content (expected as I can't get the Plex Media Server set up on the QNAP).
3. My connection to QNAP is presently open and working in another tab in Safari.
4. "MYSERVERNAME" above is not actually my server's name.

My apologies in advance but I'm not the most technologically savvy in this forum and it seems to me that neither Plex nor QNAP has a telephone helpdesk to whom I can just drop a call. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :-)
QP007
First post

Re: Can't find Server

Post by QP007 »

I am having a similar problem. I have used PLEX before on my MAc and PC. I did more or less what the other user did and I got the message 'looking for server' when I click the Plex AP.

Return to “Plex Media Server”