Plex Media Server retry remote access crashed my NAS

Plex allows you to aggregate all your personal media and access it anywhere you go. Enjoy your own media on all your devices with the Plex Media Server.
Brotholomew
New here

Plex Media Server retry remote access crashed my NAS

Post by Brotholomew »

I am outside my LAN and I was using plex to watch some movies. It was ok, tho i ran into some resolution problem so I tried to solve it, I clicked on the 'retry' button in the remote access server settings tab and then my qnap nas disappeared from the plex server list and I can't access it through the external ip in browser. I can only download files from myQNAPCloudconnect in browser and on my smartphone, but i can't load the qts dekstop. HELP ME! (i need it badly, and I am very far away form my LAN)
jacobite1
Easy as a breeze

Re: Plex Media Server retry remote access crashed my NAS

Post by jacobite1 »

I'm having difficulty understanding what you're having issues with:

If you changed the remote access settings in Plex, that can make your Plex server inaccessible remotely but shouldn't impact the QTS desktop (the Web-UI). If this is the case and it is Plex you cannot access, this is occasionally fixable from a remote location.

If you changed the remote access settings of the NAS and cannot connect to the Web UI remotely...that could be a bigger problem. However If you can access it and transfer files through a mobile app, I wouldn't call your NAS crashed at all.

Have you tried connecting directly to the external IP to get the QTS Web UI? I.E. 170.117.011.701:8080 or 170.117.011.701:443? Plex uses a variety of different external ports so I can't tell you what port it would open on.

Edit: I'm aware I might have phrased this post a little poorly so I'm going to review it and try and clear it up.
TVS-872XT-i5-16GB with 6*ST12000VNZ008 in RAID 6.
Backed up to a stack of a half dozen 'cold' external 12TB and 8TB HDDs - please back up your data, RAID is not the same as a backup!

Formerly TVS-463 with 4*WD60EFRX in RAID5, planning to reuse as an additional backup destination in the new year.
All protected by an APC SMT750VA UPS - protect your NAS from bad power!
Brotholomew
New here

Post by Brotholomew »

I have tried to connect directly to the external IP, it is the problem here. I haven't even changed any settings in plex or on my NAS, I've just clicked 'retry' in remote access settings (cause it stated that there was no remote access granted, which was ** cause I was doing everything remotely). I don't know what happened to my NAS, because I can reboot it, browse and download files (through myQNAPCloudConnect).
jacobite1
Easy as a breeze

Post by jacobite1 »

Now neither Plex nor the NAS administration page (Web-UI) are working?

If you use QNAP DDNS, have you tried connecting using that i.e. bobthebob.myqnapcloud.com?

And the remote access settings page you hit retry on is the Plex one, correct?

If that's the case, some UPnP settings on your router might have changed. I don't think myQNAPCloudConnect needs UPnP enabled to function but the others (the web-ui and Plex) both need UPnP to be externally accessible. However I don't see how changing Plex's settings could have disabled the Web-UI....
Backed up to a stack of a half dozen 'cold' external 12TB and 8TB HDDs - please back up your data, RAID is not the same as a backup!

Formerly TVS-463 with 4*WD60EFRX in RAID5, planning to reuse as an additional backup destination in the new year.
Brotholomew
New here

Post by Brotholomew »

jacobite1 wrote:Now neither Plex nor the NAS administration page (Web-UI) are working?
Yes
jacobite1 wrote:If you use QNAP DDNS, have you tried connecting using that i.e. bobthebob.myqnapcloud.com?
this does not work either
jacobite1 wrote:And the remote access settings page you hit retry on is the Plex one, correct?
correct
jacobite1 wrote:If that's the case, some UPnP settings on your router might have changed.
So I guess I will have to change it, but it is only possible in LAN, right?

Thanks for helping me :-)
jacobite1
Easy as a breeze

Post by jacobite1 »

Yeah from past experience only changeable on LAN. It's times like this when I wished I had a clone/someone in my family who doesn't think the World Wide Web was made by spiders/never left home....

It suks.

One 'feck it' thing you could try would be to reboot the NAS using myQNAPCloudConnect. Just FYI I have no idea what state the NAS will come back on in as in will web-ui & Plex start working again (unlikely) or will it become completely externally unavailable even to myQNAPCloudConnect (more likely than the other option).

Brotholomew
New here

Post by Brotholomew »

Ok, so I have rebooted my NAS and still nothing... But I have managed to get to my QTS Web-UI through cloudlink (not through the IP :-( ). In the myQNAPCloud settings I can see a red 'X' next to 'Web Connectivity' status. What is going on? There was always a tick there and everything worked just fine...
jacobite1
Easy as a breeze

Post by jacobite1 »

Go to “auto router configuration” in the my QNAP cloud page - what does it say there?

Something isn't telling the truth somewhere, but QTS web-ui access is great progress.

Brotholomew
New here

Post by Brotholomew »

Well, the router conf. page says that everything's ok
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

The whole point of myQnapCloud is to remove the need to KNOW your routers/cable modems ip address (which in most cases changes over time). That is completely independent of what Plex uses/does for remote access.

What is your QNAP model & QTS version (including build)? What build of Plex are you running? How is your QNAP networking setup (hardwired/wifi, port trunking, etc.)?

Lets start with some basic info as this thread is all over the place.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq

Return to “Plex Media Server”