TS-431P and Samsung UA49KU7350

Plex allows you to aggregate all your personal media and access it anywhere you go. Enjoy your own media on all your devices with the Plex Media Server.
young.amani
New here

TS-431P and Samsung UA49KU7350

Post by young.amani »

Hi guys,

I'm about to embark on a Plex setup for my home. On the server side I plan to use Qnap TS-431P which is an entry level 4-bay NAS. On the client/app side, I intend to use Samsung UHD smart TV running on latest Tizen, the tv can run 98% of codecs you throw to it natively upto 4k 60hz.

My issue comes down to transcoding. I see the qnap I want to use is bad in transcoding. Can I set my system for direct play where I don't need the server to handle transcodes, instead the tv to run the files as they are and do all the heavy work. Will this setup run smoothly and how best can I achieve this?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TS-431P and Samsung UA49KU7350

Post by dolbyman »

set your tv plex client to "direct play" .. and do not use subtitles..at that point no transcoding should happen
young.amani
New here

Re: RE: Re: TS-431P and Samsung UA49KU7350

Post by young.amani »

dolbyman wrote:set your tv plex client to "direct play" .. and do not use subtitles..at that point no transcoding should happen
Hi,

Thanks for your prompt response. So the only thing I'll not be able to get is subtitles. Will I be able to use the TV's ability to read subtitles from the file? Or Plex client running on the smart TV won't allow this?

Regards,

Amani

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

plex always hardcodes subs in the video..so subs will cause transcoding(too much for your nas)
young.amani
New here

Re: RE: Re: TS-431P and Samsung UA49KU7350

Post by young.amani »

dolbyman wrote:plex always hardcodes subs in the video..so subs will cause transcoding(too much for your nas)
Noted. Thanks a lot. I'll do the setup. If I have further issues will revert. Thanks again for your technical acumen.

greeky
Starting out

Post by greeky »

I use the plex version from Qnap AppCenter.
I have TS-453A using with my samsung smart TV with direct play ( or check no Transcode on the settings) also i use external subtitles from local or opensubtitles ftom settings, using Automatic embeded subtitles on the settings. CPU of the NAS doesnt go up to 30% usage. It hits 30% once a while and not all the time.

Plex is mysterious on how it handles movies and etc stuff. If you do the same with DLNA addon from your NAS you will better performance.
TS-453A
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

431 (arm) and 453a (intel x64) are very different in terms of cpu power

Return to “Plex Media Server”