TS-451+ Plex server cannot be found

Plex allows you to aggregate all your personal media and access it anywhere you go. Enjoy your own media on all your devices with the Plex Media Server.
afwolf130
New here

TS-451+ Plex server cannot be found

Post by afwolf130 »

I am new to the QNAP NAS and recently bought the TS-451+. I copied a bunch of movies to it and installed the Plex app on it. But I had to make some changes to the volumes and because I was unfamiliar with the software, I accidently deleted the volume and pool. I then created a new one and tried reinstalling plex. But now plex is saying the server is not found. I went to the Plex website and downloaded the software directly from them and it is still failing. I tried resetting the server with no joy. I tried using internet explorer, mozilla firefox and chrome and they all do the same thing. I downloaded PlexMediaServer-1.18.1.1973-0f4abfbcc-x86_64.qpkg. I am using Qfinder pro to log into my NAS. I then click on the plex app inside the NAS. I have also tried using the plex.tv site. A user on the plex site told me to use claimit and change my ip to 127.0.0.1. But like I said, I am a noob with the NAS and am unable to figure out how to do this. I tried using Control Panel-Network & Virtual Switch-Interfaces-Configure and DNS tab, configure the DNS tab to that IP but it said it was already in use so I reset it back to normal. I am trying not to have to completely reset my NAS back to factory settings.

Things you should know. I am not an IT person. I have never configured a NAS. I am not at all familiar with the steps to make changes. I can usually stumble my way through figuring it out but it will take me awhile. Any help is appreciated. Having a stable connection to Plex is the primary reason I bought this, as well as having a backup of my files.
Last edited by afwolf130 on Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TS-451+ Plex server cannot be found

Post by dolbyman »

please remove the ip of your nas in yournpost ..unless you want your server to get hacked in a jiffy

remove your qts interface from the open web ..lots of people have been (and still are) getting hacked with botnets and crypto ransomware
afwolf130
New here

Post by afwolf130 »

I was able to fix the problem. I had to move the internet lan cable to the second Lan port. This changed the IP address of the NAS. I was then able to acess plex and it is working fine. I am not sure why this worked, but it did.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

do yourself a favor and make sur e you have full backups at all times ... if you still chose to expose your NAS to the wild wild web at all times

both your NAS and your computer had direct public IP's, so I guess you got some sort of IP address block from your ISP ? exposing all network devices like this and not actually using NAT/Masquerading is EXTREMELY dangerous

Return to “Plex Media Server”