Keep needing to stop and restart Plex

Plex allows you to aggregate all your personal media and access it anywhere you go. Enjoy your own media on all your devices with the Plex Media Server.
Jay2jay99
Starting out

Re: Keep needing to stop and restart Plex

Post by Jay2jay99 »

So my Sky hub can't be set to modem mode, so what I did is disabled DHCP on the Sky Hub and set up a static IP on the Asus router. I restarted Plex and checked the logs again, I only have 2 entries now but I guess it will still affect it.

Line 1783: Jul 01, 2022 13:46:46.437 [0x7f32f3fa4b38] ERROR - MyPlex: mapping failed due to potential double NAT configuration
Line 1784: Jul 01, 2022 13:46:46.437 [0x7f32f3fa4b38] DEBUG - MyPlex: mapping state set to 'Mapped - Not Published (Double NAT)'.
nibbles2bits
Getting the hang of things

Re: Keep needing to stop and restart Plex

Post by nibbles2bits »

Routers can apply NAT to their traffic. Because you have two routers, it's likely that NAT was enabled on both.
Not knowing your setup, I'm guessing you don't need that, as it's redundant.
Would you describe your network in detail please? I'll need to know example IP addresses and the chain of connections basically.

In general, the classic way of doing things was to let the ISP router do the NAT and be the DHCP server to your LAN.
Any other router on the LAN is set as a DHCP client only, getting all its information from the ISP router as if it were just a computer.
Any other router has NAT disabled. Any other router then just acts like a fancy switch. Any other router is conceptually in bridged mode.
This way all devices on the LAN are on the same subnet. UPnP is disabled on all devices for security.
Your Plex server is set with a static IP. Life is good.
A port forwarding rule is written to the ISP router to allow incoming traffic to the Plex server's static IP address on a specific port number of your choice.
Plex is informed of that fixed port number you chose, in the Plex Settings > Remote Access section. Save changes. Restart Plex.

And then it just works (after like 5min of prayer)
That help?

Return to “Plex Media Server”