QSirch - Manage results

andySF
New here

QSirch - Manage results

Post by andySF »

I think QSirch is very efficient tool for finding all sorts of files but what can I do with the results apart from viewing them?
Am I missing something?
I would like for example to move all files from a search result into a new folder or search and delete all images that are under 100kb (indicating some gifs or screens that I don't really need but they are saved automatically and may be in the in photo app or not)

It would be nice to manage results from QSirch. crUD operations are important in organizing future more the files from such a powerful tool.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: QSirch - Manage results

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

andySF wrote: I would like for example to move all files from a search result into a new folder or search and delete all images that are under 100kb (indicating some gifs or screens that I don't really need but they are saved automatically and may be in the in photo app or not)

It would be nice to manage results from QSirch. crUD operations are important in organizing future more the files from such a powerful tool.
you make a very good point.

like the search results, would then have tick boxes to select those items, to then do further actions like, copy/cut/delete actions.

i would however caution to have a warning "are you sure?" to proceed just in case people selected action by mistake.

try create a support ticket and make the suggestion. You can also list the ticket number to this thread as reference for others to quote on.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

i ran some tests.
qsirch p7.jpg
qsirch p8.jpg

Qsirch you can

- filter to exclude what not to search in qsirch. Can also exclude based on even more specific rules
- filter to find file sizes, date created etc, file type, and few others....
- can play music, video and view picture
- google analytics support (though i disabled mine for privacy reasons. at least they give you the option to use it or not)
- cloud viewer to view document files using google docs if you prefer
- group by category, date modified, or file sizes.
- download and share functionality

Yes you can multiple select a bunch of files, but there is no cut/delete/copy functions. You can however click the go to folder button which then opens the location of the file in filestation which does have those functions. However that only works on individual selections, not multiple selections which may be in different sub directory paths from each other. Thats the only downside i could find.

PS: to multiple select click on an item, then hold down shift then left click select to then multi select a few items at once.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
andySF
New here

Post by andySF »

However that only works on individual selections, not multiple selections which may be in different sub directory paths from each other. Thats the only downside i could find.
It's not working on multiple selections even if they are in the same directory path and if you have to delete 100 files one by one I think that's not
the only downside
, that's a real big downside.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

andySF wrote:
However that only works on individual selections, not multiple selections which may be in different sub directory paths from each other. Thats the only downside i could find.
It's not working on multiple selections even if they are in the same directory path and if you have to delete 100 files one by one I think that's not
the only downside
, that's a real big downside.
thx for also confirming this as well. yes i agree it does vastly reduce the usefulness of qsirch to mere analytics only (with minimal usefulness for individual file edits after being brought to filestation for the selected file), cause delete 1 by 1 is really not practical.....

make sure you create a support ticket and share the ticket number here for us :mrgreen:

by the way qsirch is something of a light weight app of a fully featured one such as tree size (which i tested works on qnap nas over lan network)
http://www.jam-software.de/treesize_free/?language=EN

filtering is very advanced :) (though to be honest i'm okay with qsirch once they work out it's kinks)
[youtube=]zkdZYK8XUB8[/youtube]
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

andySF wrote:I think QSirch is very efficient tool for finding all sorts of files but what can I do with the results apart from viewing them?
Am I missing something?
I would like for example to move all files from a search result into a new folder or search and delete all images that are under 100kb (indicating some gifs or screens that I don't really need but they are saved automatically and may be in the in photo app or not)

i'm also experiencing this issue.

i can find redundant files, and multiple select them.... but... only option provided for that is to download or share.... it is rather insufficient.

i also need an option for cut/copy/delete for the multiple selections *delete at the very least, with some form of confirmation of a list of files selected to avoid accidents.

under the current qsirch management, the only way to delete is to go to file location via qsirch, and delete from filestation....

but the issue with this is, if you got to do that for many dozens and hundreds of files, it becomes a huge inconvenience. it would be much simpler allowing multi select with delete to begin with direct from qsirch. Or at least let qsirch to inform filestation, that these selected items should be queued for deletion task.

i'm not a programmer/developer but i feel that this ought to be possible for such a basic function for file management/handling. especially for qsirch whos main purpose is to find stuff. we also need basic utility of such a feature for handling the files better beyond 1 file at a time :(

anyway i created a helpdesk ticket for this improvement suggestion.

hopefully a future version of qsirch gets this enhancement :mrgreen: *cross fingers

in mean time i need to use a third party app for now for this :(
NAS

Network

Resources
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

That is what the Qfiling addition solves. QSirch inventories, QFiling lets you do things with files for organizng, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

really?

but all i want to do is delete files only. i'm perfectly fine with where the stuff is located now. just want to delete the crap i found with qsirch :(

so testing qfiling

add rule for the file *found the stuff in qsirch earlier
qfiling test.jpg

then setup for deletion
qfiling test2.jpg

my issue with this is, what if.... it deletes something by mistake? i wanted to review what is selected for deletion before actual deletion.

even if recyle bin is enabled, can the files deleted be restored back to their original location if it was a mistake? or does it expect me to restore manually :shock:

anyway
qfiling test3.jpg
:(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

ok managed to get it to work kinda.

i create rule but i got input error.... i save recipe, cancel task.

click create new, based on the preset i saved. wouldn't let me set destination to recycle bin... so i set instead to a test folder. for layout i put it as same as the content (so i know where these files originated from, in case i need to put them back).

the UI log indicated which files were affected, but it's a hard read. but thankfully you can download the csv making it a bit more manageable.

but i also browsed to the test folder to manually check the files. i see blank folders, but when i unhide hidden files, it showed the junks files that i correctly wanted to get rid of.

now i'm double checking recycle bin whether anything got added there. because in qfilling there is a setting for delete source, hoping it doesn't mean to delete anything within the folder where the item i want deleted is. so thats why just in case, i enabled recycle bin to catch anything, in case there are mistakes. Also i got snapshots as another firewall of sorts in case of mistakes.

... i don't see it in recycle bin... however i did find a mistake where a music file got moved. I did specify "art" which it ended up picking a music track i wanted to keep. But there is no revert back file to restore.... or at least i did not get to test recycle bin for that. I only got to test out the retain same file structure move to test folder. Now i got to manually move back the file myself :(

good thing i tested first :shock:

anyway qfilling works, but feels like it was buggy. why did it have input error, but i try again then it worked? weird :'
NAS

Network

Resources

Return to “Qsirch & Qfiling”