Qsirch resource hog?

max_well
Starting out

Qsirch resource hog?

Post by max_well »

Got my NAS two weeks ago and going through the apps I saw Qsirch and it's premise. After some research I learned it's using ElasticSearch under the hood and thought ... interesting; because I work with ES and it's not especially known for being light on resources (however it's great at what it does).

After I let it index all my files (~3TB?) and even a few days I had the feeling that the CPU usage was too high for what is supposed to be an almost idle NAS anyway (there isn't so much usage going on, it's most of the time just a data archive).

I'll let the Qcenter graphs speak for itself when I turned Qsirch off again; and I'll leave it at that for the time being:
Snip20170428_88.png
Snip20170428_89.png
The package is also using a very old version of ES , 1.4 something which is at least 2 years old. Current version is at 5.3 with lots of improvements in terms of speed (but can't talk much about memory or CPU usage).

Just wanted to inform other users what they're getting here. Personally I think the idea of what Qsirch is supposed to deliver is great but the execution not so much.

Disclaimer: I realize the Qsirch package is more than just ElasticSearch, it also includes conversion software, file watching etc. so the performance bottleneck could be entirely somewhere else in this package. But still ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
erkme73
Getting the hang of things

Re: Qsirch resource hog?

Post by erkme73 »

Hopefully you're still subscribed to this thread. Tonight's latest release of Qsirch (3.0.3) resolved my resource hog problem. I was sitting between 20 and 30% CPU usage with Qsirch running. But after tonight's update, for the first time ever, I see the words "READY" at the status icon. It's ALWAYS said indexing - which I thought was normal. But apparently on versions prior to 3.0.3, some files were causing the index process to get stuck - and never end.

If you haven't already, give it a go. It's a beautiful thing to have ALL the files indexed, the app running, and the CPU at near zero.
brossyg
Know my way around

Post by brossyg »

Well, my experience is that using Qsirch 3.0.3 results in low-level disk activity 24/7. I use my TS453A for backup and before I installed Qsirch, it was dead quiet unless I was specifically accessing it. I installed Qsirch and in took 8 hours to index. For several days since, there is low-level disk activity even though the NAS isn't being accessed and Qsirch isn't indexing. It is very annoying and I cannot tell why it is accessing the disks.

Note ... just upgraded to 3.1.0 and it is no better....
DroboDongo
New here

Post by DroboDongo »

Same issue now (Sep 2018). Indexing finished more than two days ago (status: Ready), but Qsirch (one particular python subprocess as mentioned below) seems to be munching ~22% CPU all the time.

A quick look shows the sub process PID to be
16652 admin 724988 S N /share/CE_CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/Qsirch/bin/python /share/CE_CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/Qsirch/Qusion/bin/run_file_listener.py -n 0

Any suggestions on how to calm that PID down?
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

maybe point this out to tech support in case they can do something about it :'
https://helpdesk.qnap.com/
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
DroboDongo
New here

Post by DroboDongo »

That has been done.

Return to “Qsirch & Qfiling”