Advanced filename searching with QSIRCH

Missing_Link
Starting out

Advanced filename searching with QSIRCH

Post by Missing_Link »

Hi all,
I am trying to configure the QSIRCH filter to find files ending with the letter Z. This simple search seems difficult to achieve!.

In Windows I'd do this as follows: "*Z.*"

This would return results such as: abcZ.zip and 123abcZ.jpg

Does anyone know if this is possible with QSIRCH / File Station, or with any other NAS utility.

At the moment I'm looking at using a Windows VM to search back on the NAS to get this sorted.... and that's crazy!!

Thanks.
===========================
System: QNAP TS-453A (8GB)
Drive config: 12TB (4 x 3TB WD RED) - RAID 5
Backup: Seagate 8 TB Backup Plus Hub (3.5" external, USB 3.0)
UPS: APC Back-UPS BX - 700VA, BX700U-GR (AVR, 4 Schuko outputs, USB)
OneCD
Guru

Re: Advanced filename searching with QSIRCH

Post by OneCD »

Missing_Link wrote:I am trying to configure the QSIRCH filter to find files ending with the letter Z. This simple search seems difficult to achieve!.

In Windows I'd do this as follows: "*Z.*"
Qsirch only performs keyword searches - wildcards are not supported.

Despite QNAP's ridiculous claim that Qsirch promises "powerful", "comprehensive" and "fine-grained" searches, it's actually been written for the type of user who is unable to logically organise their data and who frequently loses things. It appears to return everything even remotely connected with the provided keyword(s), then exclude based on set criteria.
Missing_Link wrote:Does anyone know if this is possible with QSIRCH / File Station, or with any other NAS utility.
I don't recall seeing any QTS utility or QPKG with a web UI to do this, so you may need to resort to running 'find' in the shell:

Code: Select all

find /share/ -name '*Z.*'

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Missing_Link
Starting out

Re: Advanced filename searching with QSIRCH

Post by Missing_Link »

Hi OneCD,

Many thanks for your great answer!. Yes, I agree, this search service seems really poor compared to *NIX and Windows. I don't have any *NIX build installed on the NAS. Been a few years since I built my own servers so I'm a little out of practice with the shell, but the FIND syntax is easy enough. Not worth creating an image just for this though. Yesterday I tried the search using my Windows VM, and it performed exactly as I expected it to :-). I think this will remain the simple solution for me until QNAP up their game :-D.

Thanks again for your help - it's appreciated.
===========================
System: QNAP TS-453A (8GB)
Drive config: 12TB (4 x 3TB WD RED) - RAID 5
Backup: Seagate 8 TB Backup Plus Hub (3.5" external, USB 3.0)
UPS: APC Back-UPS BX - 700VA, BX700U-GR (AVR, 4 Schuko outputs, USB)

Return to “Qsirch & Qfiling”