Qsirch 4.0.0 released

Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Qsirch 4.0.0 released

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

Qsirch 4.0.0
( 2019/01/25 )
[New Features]
- Redesigned the user interface and improved the layout of the homepage, file preview window, and search result page.
- Using Map Search, users can now find photos taken from a specific geographic area.
- Users can now view how files are distributed on the NAS and select suggested tags to view files with common features.
- In the Preview window, users can now use keywords to view files that contain relevant text.
- Qsirch can now index IIQ files.

[Enhancements]
- Users can now filter videos according to frame rate.
- Integrated with Notification Center.

[Fixed Issues]
- Fixed minor issues.
https://www.qnap.com/en/app_releasenote ... ose=Qsirch

new UI change? by how much? i'm testing it right now, will probably post back my own assessment later.

Okay that certainly looks different

// why isn't there a "other category listed" ? i'm sure i may have other files like zip/rar etc, yet it's not shown in this summary of bars :' so is this correct?

Upon updating to the new qsirch, it will begin to index. probably cause the old database is not sufficient for the new version? so they had to redo/reindex from scratch.

I'm not sure when they plan to update their site to show the new qsirch v4 :'
https://www.qnap.com/solution/qsirch/en/
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: Qsirch 4.0.0 released

One thing i'm unsure about is this
Remaining files:8
This part keeps changing roughly a value below 10-20 etc. So basically it's way more than x digit number of files left remaining overall, yet this data value would seem to me to be based on contents of a folder is my assumption.

I'm not really sure if that is particularly useful to know. It would have been better if it were the TOTAL remaining files. Rather than batches of total files PER folder that gets indexed 1 at a time.

Also it doesn't quite say which folders they are either, UNLESS you mouse over the shortened filename, and it will show you to the full path of the file being actively indexed.

So i'm assuming the remaining files (for a folder) is in relation to the file that just got indexed e.g. Storage2/videos/anime/one piece/season 1/ episode 1.mkv

so remaining files is the e.g. 10 episodes in that folder?

nothing in documentation explains this, so this is just my guess how it works based on my own educated guess.

so all i can garner is, yes it's doing indexing, this many items at a time. But i think if they had left the remaining items part out, that would have been better. Or even better, change it to TOTAL files remaining for everything to be indexed (not just batches of folders being indexed 1 at a time), and then based on that, calculate a ETA for when index is expected to be completed in the form of a loading bar with % or a dynamically adjusted timer.

Then the 2nd issue. You see "23" and "2" values for files completed. That number hasn't increased even after 10 minutes of indexing, despite the other stats saying a bunch of stuff are being indexed. So isn't that a bug? or at least the refresh interval for it is not live, but probably on a long interval timer? not sure how that works, but it's not real time accurate.
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

i had suggested that maybe the file size filter should have an adjustable value. Probably make it similar to how the durations looks, where you can drag those rectangle minimum and maximum things to adjust it accordingly.

i do appreciate the presets for the file sizes. Definitely keep that. But they should also have an adjustable setting for file sizes to be filtered as well.

unfortunately this sort of improvement was not in this v4 qsirch :(
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

in order to listen to music and play videos from your qsirch, you need to install the native qnap apps like music station and video station.

i wish there was an option to play using a third party app of your own choice. Not sure if that is possible :' but i wish to use foobar2000 and mpc-hc or mpv

testing the video station opening from qsirch, one of the videos i tested got this when i tried to toggle on subtitles

most of my videos are x264/x265/hevc, mp4/mkv, aac/ac3/opus/flac, SSA subtitles

so i would expect the video player to be able to handle these media formats. but already for an anime mkv with SSA subtitles muxed into mkv container, it doesn't seem able to handle that.

although i may be able to preview videos, i can't comfortably watch my anime (based on that format type). So i'll instead browse to the share and open with my own media player, or use plex instead.

Qsirch could be much better if they improve the media player and it's format support somehow (preferably without having to re-transcode to do so)

the music player works better since it just simply works without fuss. But for songs without cover albums, it does rather bland. There is no option to add a custom screen saver while the music is playing. Also don't expect it to have music station features like to add songs to a playlist and queue songs. It doesn't do that. Instead it's simply adding music playback support for just simple playback. If you want more advance features, you'll have to instead go direct to the music station app for that. Or load your own music player of choice and browse the contents to your QNAP share.

It probably would be useful if you were able to add the songs you find to the music station playlist from qsirch.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

This is a nice new addition. You can explore stuff based on geo tagging. They made the UI look like this

If you go on holidays often, this is perfect for you. It would be great if they could filter timelines based on the time the picture was taken, and then filtering them on this geo world map. That would be pretty kewl :) Then it will only filter and show you the images geo locations based on that time filter when the picture was taken.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

the qsirch discover nas shows you your media type percentages, and how much data is taken up by it. that is useful.

but there is no mode to show based on directories layout.

For example, the app filesize on windows, it shows your directory tree, and also colored bars for the total file size occupied by those directories.

It can also recalculates the total size of your own multiple selections of directories of choice (you can even toggle media types if you want to).

Qsirch can't seem to do this.

So yes, although i want to know videos take up most of my space by what extent, i also want to check, which folders are taking up the most space.

At best, all i can do with Qsirch is to filter by file sizes, then sort by biggest to lowest, and check for individual files that.

But there is no method for me to see which directories or folders are taking up the most space in a sorted order.

This is one area i feel qsirch can improve on. Adding a 2nd type of graphical layout, to allow for this type of total space allocation in a visual manner, with a checkbox to select the directory/folder pathin and calculate total file space based on that filter selection, and also show a graphical bar of % of the size of the total usable space that the directories and folders are taking up.

For example, qsirch does not provide a view mode to browse within a nested structure of directory paths and view the space utilization by these sub directories

Normally i would use something like tree size to see what directories take up space. then i would dig deeper into the sub directories and look for ones i know are of inconsequence and then delete those or make other adjustments. i can't achieve this sort of thing with qsirch.

Even filestation does not offer this sort of thing, although allows you to browse through the directories and and see the layout (it doesn't show you space utilization in a convenient way). It does however allow you to select multiple different folder directories, then using the calculator icon to compute the total space for those selections. That is useful, but is not enough.

a simple solution would be to add a colored bar with a visual que for % of total space used by those directories in file station, along with the detailed gb or tb value like in the treesize example basically. You already have the left side panel with the directories listed, so you just add them there.

But then you would be browsing and analyzing data space usage from filestation instead of from qsirch if you did that.
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Summary

they basically made the qsirch look google like but for local search on the QNAP NAS for your locally stored files. Makes sense then, that the qsirch home page looks like... well google..ish? :)

Then if you want the previous overall summary, you click the explore your nas.

they remove the clutter and made it more simplified.

Although i feel that the part where it shows "files, %, TB" they could add back the colored bar perhaps? my own subjective aesthetic quibble, but it's not a big deal.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

a few things i feel should change to improve it.

When you start qsirch, it will auto index. Actually, even just installing qsirch, any stuff added at that point will already auto be indexed (or am i mistaking that with the multimedia thumbnail generation in task notification in qts? :' )

thats fine. But maybe, for the first time when you install qsirch, to begin indexing, it should require you to run qsirch first. And even then it would not index, instead it should prompt the exclusion list for you to select what to exclude. And when you set that up, and with a final OK for your settings, will it then index everything that was greenlit.

Any new media added to those NOT excluded areas, will auto index at this point without any user interaction required.

BUT if you add a new share that was not detected by qsirch before (either creating a new share, or unlocking an encrypted share), then qsirch should not index them, but instead show a prompt asking the user whether to exclude from qsirch or not, before deciding to index items in those new locations.

Instead, the current qsirch will just auto index. You then have to immediately hit the pause button, and then setup the exclusion list. when satisfied hit the resume.

About the stuff that got accidentally indexed, i'm not sure how it clear that as lingering traces from the qsirch indexing process :' I just hit the refresh and hope that clears it.

There is an option to choose whether to use the google apps to enhance the search functions, but i opt not to use it for privacy. It's nice there is a choice in that.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

bug/oversight

One thing i noticed.

For shares you encrypt. If you unlock, it's then viewable by qsirch. So you can add to the qsirch exclusion list apply, and your done right?

But what if you lock the share later. Qsirch exclusion list for that share is now gone.

Surely it will add back to exclusion when you unlock the encrypted share right? No it doesn't.

As soon as you unlock the encrypted share, it will start indexing it. So you then have to Re-add that share to the exclusion list..... this is the problem :S

They should have the exclusion list persist even for encrypted shares, so when the shares become unlocked and available, they should then rely on the previously created exclusion list. And not have it reset as a default :(

I'll make a ticket for this.
NAS

Network

Resources
iam@nas
Easy as a breeze

Post by iam@nas »

I'm removing it again. It's still slow and based on ES 1.4 from 2014 (EOL 2016-05). Do I expect too much to get Qsirch based on ES 6.4/6.5 with EOL next year?
The process is still starting with "-Xms128M -Xmx256M" after installation while it needs at least 1G to index all my documents and metadata. At least the configuration file seems to be still at the same location /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/Qsirch/conf/qusion.conf (for 4.0 one must also edit /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/Qsirch/qusion.sh 'ES_MAX_HEAP=1024') to modify the Xmx parameter.
Last edited by iam@nas on Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

iam@nas wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:46 am I'm removing it again. It's still slow and based on ES 1.4 from 2014 (EOL 2016-05). Do I expect too much to get Qsirch based on ES 6.4/6.5 with EOL next year?
The process is still starting with "-Xms128M -Xmx256M" after installation while it needs at least 1G to index all my documents and metadata. At least the configuration file seems to be still at the same location /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/Qsirch/conf/qusion.conf to modify the Xmx parameter.
o really? i didn't know that :S

14 NOVEMBER 2018 RELEASES
Elasticsearch 6.5.0 Released
https://www.elastic.co/blog/elasticsear ... 0-released

I'll mentioned that in my ticket along with the rest of the stuff you noted.

what qnap model are you using? my ts-877 does not lag my system with it running. the resource monitor for cpu and ram doesn't seem to cause issue.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

one other issue.

i do not see a search filter in advance filter for extension.

because i may want to search based on file extension e.g. zip, rar, mkv, mp4 etc.

yes, mkv and mp4 are under video. But sometimes i may want to be more specific and exclude mp4s, and only get mkv results.

this is why being able to filter by extensions is also important to have as a search tool option.

Yes you can type in "zip" and you are bound to get search hits. However there are also some other irrelevant search results that get added in doing it this way.

It's better being able to be specific, to search for "zip" file extension. This way i can be certain to avoid irrelevant search results.
NAS

Network

Resources
iam@nas
Easy as a breeze

Post by iam@nas »

I've got a TS-251+/16GB. Its CPU mark (cpubenchmark.net) is 1849 vs. 13744 for the TS-877. As ES runs in-memory the performance is likely related to the amount of data in the index and the structure of it - and of course the CPU. Anyhow the CPU usage is not 100% and with 1 GB for ES there should be no blocking garbage collections.
Running ES native one has to care about these things but when using Qsirch one may expect a performance tuned system.

Currently I use small directory and file name based indexes (one for mp3; mp4; jpg; pdf - each one without metadata and <15.000 elements) on the client. Searching with javascript takes 10ms-200ms. It's not the best user experience but much faster.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

your resource monitor checks out (for cpu), and using 16gb ram? yeah that should be sufficient. so hm....

I'm using SSD cache acceleration, maybe that improves my own situation somewhat?

By the way, another glaring omission is the overview for the QNAP.

for reference, here is a screenshot of the old UI for the specific part i am comparing to the new qsirch.

In the old Qsirch, you had the summary of your NAS for the following
- how old files were (there is a bar showing a % of the files that fall under how old they were)
This to me was useful, because i can know what stored data is stale (old) and what i had more recently added. Is a visual analysis of your stored data. I would then click on those timeline ranges and filter for data that falls under those specific timeline.

With the new qsirch 4.0, you can still search for items based on a time range. But you have to come up with your own specific time frame for it to filter for. Whereas before, with the assisted color bar, it already tells me the general idea, and using that info i can then either click it, or use the advance filter.
- media types
This is still in Qsirch, although displayed differently. You no longer have colored bars showing a graphical % of the space occupied by such media type in one single continuous bar after which you hover on you can see the specific % . In the new qsirch, they separate the bars. Basically you get the same info but in a different UI style.
- group by data size
- the graphical bar for this is gone.

For both "group by data size" and the "how old files are", there is no general summary for this. Instead, you have to pick from the media type e.g. videos, music etc, then you can use the option in the screenshot below to get something similar to the previous color bar. Or if you want to do similar without specifying media type, you can under advance filter; then you just add the date filter and click search.

So before we had the color bar, and this method. But now we only got that method left which i mentioned.

There is no general summary of the TOTAL items indexed (regardless of media type) showing in the "explore your NAS" window.

It feels like a downgrade in terms of functionality for this specific examples i highlighted. Personally i would appreciate if they had retained "group by data size" and the "how old files are" in the "explore your nas" summary in qsirch. The media types is basically the same info you are getting, so not much gripe there.

sauce:
https://www.qnap.com/solution/qsirch/en/
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... ng-qsirch/
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

another app worth checking out is the chrome qsirch extension
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/qsirch?hl=en

there is also an andorid app
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... h&hl=en_US
NAS

Network

Resources

Return to “Qsirch & Qfiling”