I hate Qsirch

Bob Zelin
Experience counts

I hate Qsirch

Post by Bob Zelin »

I am ready to tear my hair out.
At one time, Qsirch did not work at all. Now with recent updates, Qsirch works within the QNAP. But clients do not want that. Clients who are using Apple computers want Qsirch to work with Apple
Spotlight, so they can just type something in, and it will find the files or folders on the QNAP mounted volume.

As someone recently pointed out, no matter what - when Qsirch is enabled and everything is indexed, Qnap will NOT find folders. It will only find files, if you have the complete file name in there.
But if you are searching for Disney_EpcotCenter_MickeyMouse_Friday_71460.mov. and you just type in Disney_EpcotCenter - it will not find all the files associated with this. After all - that's the reason you
are searching - because you don't remember the exact name of the file. And God forbid you have a folder called EpcotCenter, and all your files that you need are in the EpcotCenter folder - if you just type in EpcotCenter, it will NOT find the folder. You have to enter the complete verbose file name for Qsirch to find the file.

AND I only discovered this after extensive testing on a smaller 32 TB all SSD QNAP TVS-872XT. On larger systems (TVS-EC1680U, TS-1683XU-RP) with 150 - 200 TB of storage, it won't even allow for Qsirch to work - it gives you "Insufficient Memory", and you can't search at all.

So it appears that if you are a consumer user, looking for a file on your Plex server application with a few shows - I guess that works. I tried it on my home QNAP Systems with about 100 Gig of media, and I can find stuff. But if you are an enterprise user, with 100 TB + of media, with tons of nested folders and files - THE VERY REASON you need a search tool - well, forget about it - you can't search the QNAP.

I offered other solutions to my clients like Neofinder and the Apple Apple Store EasyFind, but these were not sufficient to them - they are just used to Apple Spotlight, which works great on HFS+ Mac volumes, but does not work properly with the QNAP and Qsirch. I fully understand that QNAP's competitors like Synology are in the same boat.

I just wanted to complain.

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
dolbyman
Guru

Re: I hate Qsirch

Post by dolbyman »

While I cannot help with apple products (I have none) or Qsirch, I really appreciate you are still using "Center" with EPCOT .. so classic :mrgreen:

But I think you have a better contact to QNAP than most of us here (they don't give a flying schnitzel about their forum) .. what do they say ?
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

Oh - I have contacted QNAP. I know they don't give a flying schnitzel about this forum.
I just needed some place to complain. I just contacted qnapclub.eu to see if they had an alternate program.
I know that this is really Apple's fault (they like it that way) - almost no other NAS can do spotlight searching either.
But QNAP "advertises" that they can do it - and well - they can't. Not for enterprise users.

Centre ? Is that what you like ?
the official spelling -
200 Epcot Center Dr, Orlando, FL 32821

Bob Zelin
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Wikipedia wrote:The newly-designed park, featuring two sections—Future World and World Showcase—opened as EPCOT Center in 1982. In 1994, the park was renamed to "Epcot," dropping the acronym and "Center" from the name.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epcot

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Bob Zelin wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:22 am Centre ? Is that what you like ?
the official spelling -
When EPCOT (the park) opened it was still considered the "Center" of Walts original plan of a city. They dropped "Center" sometime in the late 90's. Making it just EPCOT.
Same with the Studios park, it used to be MGM studios .. when the MGM contract was up, they dropped the MGM title (but many people still call it "MGM")

Never mind me .. I am just a big Disney Park Fan, spend more than 20k this year alone on park visits :P
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

well, I am the stupid contractor for them, and they have a ton of QNAP's. But Disney is using NeoFinder to index the QNAP drives, and they reindex every evening.
Universal is unwilling to do this with their systems, and they are very unhappy with me, because they can't use Spotlight to find their files on the QNAP, and they tried EasyFind and NeoFinder, but
it is not satisfactory for them. I previously had a macOS Server system in there for the video department, and of course, this was all Apple so Spotlight worked flawlessly for them. But now that
I have convinced them to retire the old Mac server and switch to QNAP - well, the QNAP is great, and fast, but they can't search for any of their files. The specific system I mentioned with the
TVS-872XT with SSD's is for their Photography department - at least I could get Qsirch to work (32 TB, 16 gig RAM), but Spotlight searching is terrible. Before I wrote this right now, I just
created nested folders on my horrible TS-531X, and sure enough, Spotlight can't find folders - it can only find files. And from what I saw at Universal, if the file name is too complex, unless you "spell it out" it won't find it. This kind of defeats the purpose of a search, because you really don't know exactly what you are looking for. And for their BIG TVS-EC1680U systems with a few hundred Terabytes on it -
all I get is "Insufficient Memory" - and no one at QNAP can even tell me if 32 Gig of RAM will even be enough for that much storage (because the TVS-EC1680U cannot be expanded beyond 32 Gig of RAM - only the newer TS-1683XU-RP and TS-1677XU-RP can go to 64 Gig of RAM - and WHO KNOWS if even 64 Gig of RAM is enough memory to search 200 TB of data.

And now I got that off my chest.

Bob Zelin
Trexx
Ask me anything

I hate Qsirch

Post by Trexx »

Hey Bob,

Last time I checked (and it has been a while), QSirch was built on top of ElasticSearch which is a heavy Java app.

Your out of memory is likely due to not large enough java memory space.

If I recall correctly, they sized up some depending on system memory, but only to a certain point.

The only way to fix that is hack the qpkg shell script and bump up the java memory space.

See here for some tuning ideas.

https://medium.com/@abhidrona/elasticse ... c1323b25d7

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

in windows 10 explorer, i search for a file by name, then i would right click and click "go to location". Is that the feature you meant was missing? if so yeah i agree that is an important function for file searching.

qsirch is fine for basic, but definitely some improvements are needed.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
glennmac
Know my way around

Post by glennmac »

Bob, I have found the exact same as you. Folders cannot be found. Also it appears to me that no amount of memory is enough. The searching starts to fail altogether after a couple of weeks or a month if lucky and the qnap needs to be rebooted as the only way to get it working again. This doesn’t even show that indexing has stopped. We’ve also tried EasyFind.
glennmac
Know my way around

Post by glennmac »

Update: Bob, in another thread a user mentioned that AFP works and returns folders in Qsirch searches. I tested this on two separate QNAP systems just now and he is correct. Looks like I will be reverting my users to AFP. I wonder how much longer AFP will be working.
ore2000
New here

Post by ore2000 »

In the same boat. Looking to retire a macOS server hosting music files. Want to replace it with QNAP but the clients want Spotlight to still work. Neofinder looks like the best path forward. Testing it out now. Does anyone know if the ID3 tags are stored in Alternate Data Streams? No metadata is lost when aiff/mp3 files are copied over to a QNAP volume. So I wonder what is missing for Spotlight to read the metadata.

Cheers,
Ernesto Sanchez
mousebat
Starting out

Post by mousebat »

I was having trouble with my Qsirch - this might help...

viewtopic.php?f=361&t=153194

Return to “Qsirch & Qfiling”