Fix for Qsirch and Spotlight

mseewald
Starting out

Re: Fix for Qsirch and Spotlight

Post by mseewald »

mseewald wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:59 pm If Qsirch puts metadata into elasticsearch in the format as samba is expecting it, ..
Hm, after taking a first look, the Qsirch index seems to be quite different than what fscrawler would put into elasticsearch. It'll need a mapping service to communicate between the samba and Qsirch' version of the full text index. Or building and running another index in parallel.
mousebat
Starting out

Post by mousebat »

How different does it look? Does Samba 4.12 require an elasticsearch db in the format created by fscrawler?
mseewald
Starting out

Post by mseewald »

mousebat wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:07 am How different does it look?
At first glance, it looks very different. fscrawler creates a rather trivial structure where you easily recognize 1 record per indexed file. Qsirch produces something quite different and even key tags like filename require some digging etc. The Qsirch index is called "qusion" and there seems to be a whole set of python scripts in the Qsirch directory.
mousebat wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:07 am Does Samba 4.12 require an elasticsearch db in the format created by fscrawler?
Yes, exactly. fscrawler crawls the drive and feeds metadata into elasticsearch. Once it's there, samba will pull from it without any further help and Spotlight gets its results.

I got it working in an LXC container running Debian. Happy to share some scripts for the setup.
mousebat
Starting out

Post by mousebat »

Yeah, seen qusion stuff, picked through it and hit dead end. For a while been trying to make sense of it like a salmon swimming upstream and could not be arsed because the end game was not worth the hassle. Much easier to develop a shim (ie the app).

Whole reason I bought an off the shelf NAS this time was because I thought it would be one less thing to support in our environment but low and behold it’s cost much more to implement in time than a Linux based box shoved full o drives... yes if a custom nas built on open source breaks and the owner is dead you’re up a creek without a paddle but whilst it does work it should work great.
mseewald
Starting out

Post by mseewald »

mousebat wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:28 am if a custom nas built on open source breaks and the owner is dead you’re up a creek without a paddle
You seem to live a dangerous live ;)

I do think about putting elasticsearch / fscrawler / samba v4.18 into a docker container. It usually provides enough encapsulation that it does not break easily with QNAP updates. Or at least that has worked well for me so far.
mousebat
Starting out

Post by mousebat »

I know I talk about dying a lot but it’s my go to worst case redundancy wise. SNAFU protocol determines all my systems should be immediately supportable by hastily employed local tech plebs who’ve never seen a Unix CLI and will do their uninstall, reinstall, turn off and on dance whilst I lie on a slab or fermenting in some weirdos bathtub.

I shouldn’t paint all IT support companies in the same light but most of them who cold call around my way quickly get off the line when I say the *nix word.

QNAP’s Qsirch package may evolve over the years but as long as a few fields in the api and the base url don’t change name I know my app will keep working.

Just gotta iron out a few kinks and get it to a point it’s distributable on the App Store.
nick314
Getting the hang of things

Post by nick314 »

Hey everyone,

I've been whining about this since 2018-19 when they announced spotlight support. Two years and a few tickets later telling me they'll get back to me and never do. Can we all simply open a ticket about spotlight not working as advertised and get their unhelpful team to take a look at it? Not sure I want to use a third party app than can break after a few updates...

Also I can't get the QSirchMac app to find the server. I accidentally pressed save without test, and now I can't get back to the server entry window. Can't find the preferences file to delete for the app.
mousebat
Starting out

Post by mousebat »

Have you quit out of the app and gone back in? When the app starts it tries to log in with the saved details and if it can’t, it opens up the preferences window.

Did you try opening the preferences window with the gear icon?

Also, I’ve had a ticket open for over 8 months. QNAP advises me I can’t get my money back because the NAS works and Qsirch is a software add on. I bought the QNAP specifically as it was advertised as working with spotlight!
mousebat
Starting out

Post by mousebat »

I’ll test the app when I get to work and try replicate your problem and fix. Are you using a valid host name and not an IP address to connect?

Also are you using SSL and have you got a valid SSL certificate for your box?

Please be aware, this app is an interim solution, a hack for those who need it. I created it for my users because I could not wait for QNAP devs to pull their fingers out of their arses.

Yes native spotlight support is what we want but do you have any confidence they will actually implement it correctly? In the mean time you can report problems here with my app and I’ll do my best to fix it. I bet I’ll reply and fix stuff a lot quicker than QNAP will.
nick314

Post by nick314 »

Hello and thank you for all your work... Perhaps I downloaded a past version? since I do not see a gear icon... The screenshot is after deleting the app and unzipping it again. I have also restarted the system a couple of times to no avail.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mousebat
Starting out

Post by mousebat »

I know the issue here - I'll sort this asap I've been getting mixed up with my version control etc...

Give me 10 minutes ;)
mousebat
Starting out

Post by mousebat »

Just uploaded new version 1.01 on GitHub. I had a weird problem with GitHub, I work on my laptop and iMac at work and accidentally committed old files. All fixed now.

As I said before I'm not a developer by trade so go easy on me :ashamed: :DD
nick314

Post by nick314 »

Great, now it's there, thank you! One question, since I still get a message that the request timed out (during testing this time), what am I supposed to add to the hostname? my qnap cloud address or the local 10gbe 192.168... one?
nick314

Post by nick314 »

Got it! It was the 192.168... address however I had changed the port number and it wasn't 443 anymore...

As for the search, I'm entering the terms ".mov" & "M&N" (without quotes) and I'm getting results that are anything but the expected ones. Is that QNAP's issue?
mousebat
Starting out

Post by mousebat »

Ah, I had fixed that before let me check, it might have reverted... bear with me :)

Return to “Qsirch & Qfiling”