QSIRCH a beneficial utility for Apple's Mac Finder?

vlkmedia
New here

QSIRCH a beneficial utility for Apple's Mac Finder?

Post by vlkmedia »

hello friends!

i've been using a large qnap for video editing and photo management for about a year now. TS-h2483XU-RP-E2236-128G. latest hero OS.

like most folks, i have yet to find any CLEAR literature from qnap regarding QSIRCH.

*** how valuable is it in regard to smb files searches on a MAC? ***

i've had some trouble with it working correctly in the past. at one point, i had to be logged into a specific qnap user via smb for the finder searches to even work. things seem to be "functioning" without issue now ... although it seems pretty darn slow at times. (i'm connected to the qnap with 25G fibre!) i wish there was a way to make mac finder searches FASTER over smb. alas, this is not even the reason for this post.

out of curiosity ... have any of you been able to search on MAC FINDER the smb mounted shared qnap folder ... WITHOUT QSIRCH enabled on the qnap?

my reasoning is in consideration of saving resources on the qnap. it appears that i cannot "get rid" of either multimedia console OR ai core because they are both needed for qsirch to run (as of the latest version or so of qsirch ... i know it just updated again). i would LOVE to be able to disable/delete multimedia console and ai core. i don't need the thumbnails ... or all the other ai functions (faces, similar photos, etc). or do i?

i just want to be able to use my qnap for EDITING and STORAGE. mainly 4k/6k raw videos and photos. BUT I NEED TO BE ABLE TO SEARCH ON THE MAC and find files based on names/titles. the other search features are cool (ocr, etc), but not necessary. i want my system to be as SIMPLE and ZIPPY as possible without all the "fluff."

thank you all for any insights! i would love to know what you think in regard to QSIRCH ... and your experience. especially with MAC FINDER.

blessings!

chris
HDX-NAS
Getting the hang of things

Re: QSIRCH a beneficial utility for Apple's Mac Finder?

Post by HDX-NAS »

Hi Chris.
Qsirch, yes. . . I gave up with it in the end . . It doesn't search the Mac meta data, ie tags, comments etc . .
We have a rather massive archive on our QNAPs & Qsirch would slow the whole thing down.I've disabled Qsirch & I've also disabled AI.

Prior to getting the NAS we were "drowning in a sea of hard drives" & used Neofinder to keep track of them all. . .
Norbert Doerner the main man at Neofinder is brilliant & has incorporated some features I've requested.
NeoFinder now catalogues our NAS's 4 massive volumes automatically. .
There is one feature yet to be implemented, "sequential auto update". . This will essentially run a series of catalogue updates.
So for example, vol 1 has say 10 folders. . Each folder has it's own catalogue. . This "sequential auto update" feature will autoupdate each catalogue
one after the other then unmount the volume once done. .

I recommend you try it . .

Cheers .
JJ
Last edited by HDX-NAS on Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dual identical systems at different post codes comprising:
TS-EC2480U-E3-4GE-R2/240TB-SGT 24 X SGT Disk 10TB SATA III 7.2k 3.5”
+ 2 x
REXP-1620U-RP/160TB-SGT 16 Bay
16 X SGT Disk 10TB SATA III 7.2k 3.5"
+1 x
TL-R1620Sep-RP 16 SGT 16TB Exos X16 SATA 6Gb/s
vlkmedia
New here

Post by vlkmedia »

Thanks JJ! Much appreciated!
HDX-NAS
Getting the hang of things

Post by HDX-NAS »

HDX-NAS wrote:Hi Chris.
Qsirch, yes. . . I gave up with it in the end . . It doesn't search the Mac meta data, ie tags, comments etc . .
We have a rather massive archive on our QNAPs & Qsirch would slow the whole thing down.I've disabled Qsirch & I've also disabled AI.

Prior to getting the NAS we were "drowning in a sea of hard drives" & used Neofinder to keep track of them all. . .
Norbert Doerner the main man at Neofinder is brilliant & has incorporated some features I've requested.
NeoFinder now catalogues our NAS's 4 massive volumes automatically. .
There is one feature yet to be implemented, "sequential auto update". . This will essentially run a series of catalogue updates.
So for example, vol 1 has say 10 folders. . Each folder has it's own catalogue. . This "sequential auto update" feature will autoupdate each catalogue
one after the other then unmount the volume once done. .

I recommend you try it . .

Cheers .
JJ
The latest version of NeoFinder now does sequential auto updates by default.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dual identical systems at different post codes comprising:
TS-EC2480U-E3-4GE-R2/240TB-SGT 24 X SGT Disk 10TB SATA III 7.2k 3.5”
+ 2 x
REXP-1620U-RP/160TB-SGT 16 Bay
16 X SGT Disk 10TB SATA III 7.2k 3.5"
+1 x
TL-R1620Sep-RP 16 SGT 16TB Exos X16 SATA 6Gb/s

Return to “Qsirch & Qfiling”