ES1640dc v2 - sytem drive configuration

pmonok
New here

ES1640dc v2 - sytem drive configuration

Postby pmonok » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:50 am

Hi All,

the answer for my question might be obvious, but I would like to see clearly how the system disks are set up.
I understand from guides and articles that the Storage System uses the disks in the first 4 bays as system disks. Let's say for example I install 2 SSD's and 2 HDD's in the first 4 bays. What happens after system initialization?
Can I use the SSD's as flash cache, and the other 2 HDD's as capacity arrays or they will be marked as "system" and I can't calculate with them. How much space the system partition takes from each drive in average?

Thank you in advance,
Pete

storageman
Experience counts

Re: ES1640dc v2 - sytem drive configuration

Postby storageman » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:09 pm

Have you read through the manual?

Follow the calculator
https://enterprise-nas.qnap.com/en/calculator/

Don't mix the system drive disks, they should be all the same.

The first four slots are reserved for the QES installation and the read cache configuration.

pmonok
New here

Re: ES1640dc v2 - sytem drive configuration

Postby pmonok » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:29 pm

Thank you for your reply. We will definitely try to go with 4 SSDs. The only thing which confused me was the official brochure of this product

https://view.publitas.com/qnap-1/es1640 ... page/10-11

For L2ARC it says
"Install 2-4 SSDs based on performance needs. If there's no need for high-performance random reads, the installation can be skipped to achieve the highest data volume"
I assume having different type of disks in the bottom row could cause OS performance issues anyway.

Many thanks

Return to “QES Operating System (QNAP Enterprise Storage OS)”