Broken firmware upgrade

Storever
Starting out

Broken firmware upgrade

Post by Storever »

I'm attempting to upgrade from 2.1.1 to 2.2.0. The first controller appears to have updated successfully in under an hour. It then performed a failover to the other controller, and should be updating the first. It's now been 3 hours and nothing has changed.

I'm going to open a support ticket (UGH). Anyone want to place bets on whether support advises me to power the entire thing off and back on again? Seems to be the usual course of action. Personally I'm willing to bet it'll take several days to get to that point though.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Broken firmware upgrade

Post by dolbyman »

You didn't even disclose what unit your are trying to update... Not sure how many models QNAP build with QES (but I don't think any of the regulars here has one of these)
Storever
Starting out

Post by Storever »

It's an es1686dc, and it's still broken almost a week later.

I have another of these lemons, and I'm too scared to update the firmware on that one now.

And for the record, support did instruct us to turn it off and back on again (their usual fix attempt), but it didn't work.

I regret this purchase every single day.

Also fun, I was 5 minutes late to get on a support teamviewer and the engineer is now MIA, I'll continue to wait because that's all I can do, but this is ridiculous. I would have let them know I was a few minutes late, but you can't update tickets via email (like every other helpdesk), only the crummy web portal.
Storever
Starting out

Post by Storever »

Support asked us to reboot it a bunch more times and it's STILL broken several weeks later. We may start an RMA process which normally requires the customer to ship the damaged product back, then they'll ship a new one. How can that possible be considered "enterprise" level support? This has been the worst IT equipment experience I've ever had. If you're considering purchasing a QNAP 'enterprise' NAS, please take my advice and stay FAR away.
Storever
Starting out

Post by Storever »

It'll be a month that this unit has been down later this week. Support has "escalated" my ticket to "hq" and I've been waiting four days since then, with no ticket updates. I've provided heaps of logs, and followed all of their requests and they simply can't get our hardware back online. I asked for RMA last week and was given the runaround.

I have a second unit that needs the same firmware upgrade. No way in hell I'm going to risk it though, because that one has much more important production data.

I'm going to work on replacing both QNAP devices with something from a reputable manufacturer (Dell?).

Return to “QES Operating System (QNAP Enterprise Storage OS)”