ES1640DC v2 - Lots of issues!

rdesormiers
First post

ES1640DC v2 - Lots of issues!

Post by rdesormiers »

Hello guys,

Well, what can I start with! Hard too say since it's already been 6 month that I am struggling with the ES1640DC v2. I am in desperate need of input if anyone else have encountered these kind of issues! First, let me introduce myself. I am a sysadmin with more than 20 years of experience in VMWare, storage and backup. One day, when I whoke up, my boss told me that we had money to change are really old 500tb Dell SAN. This big fellow cost a fortune on contracts and is only used for backup purposes.

We had limited budget, so I told my boss... hey why not giving a trying to QNAP. This unit seems to be damm good with all the HA that it has. This is where all the issues started! Here are some issues I am struggling with this unit. I was just wondering if anyone else is having these issues:

My config is the following. 1x ES1640DC v2 with an expansion unit. Both are filled up with 32x 8TB Seagate hard drive. Here are my main issues. Note that my network configuration is

Hard disk configuration: (8TB SAS 10K hard drive)

- 1x 16 hard disk drive RAID 5 CTRLA; (controller), 4 OS driver inclued in the RAID 5
- 1x 16 hard disk drive RAID 5 CTRLB; (expansion)
- iSCSI configuration.

No SSD for auto thiering since this is used for backup purposes. The 4 drives used for the OS are SAS and not SSD's

No compression and or dedup on.

Network topoloy:

- iSCSI HA topology; (Redundancy)
- 10 gigs switches

Project:

Backup only. (More than 1 petabytes at term)

Issues:

- Poor READ speed with this unit! Write is good: My READ, wich are for my restore, are around 55 mbps/sec. My writes per controller are around 250 to 300 mbps/sec with cache.

- It happened to me 3 times already this month that the controller are gone in limbo. I have to shutdown everything and power it on! Is this caused by hardware and or UNIX issue, hard to say!

- I do get lots of Network lost in target... Can't find why! Is this caused by Microsoft iSCSI driver and or QNAP controller... I don't have any errors in EVENTVWR from Microsoft.

- My server is freezing and it seems caused by the QNAP since I have changed from an HP to a Dell server and same thing happens. Remember that I have other SANS and it doesn't freeze with others. Hard to say if

- Controller just reboot and or HA giveback just takeover. This was supposed to be fixed in a firmware but doesn't.

Did anyone has tried the 4x first drive for the OS in a RAID configuration? Is there any specific issue such as slow speed?
Would SSD's would help for restore? (Auto-tiering)
Would NFS do a better job for backup purposes?

Please, does anyone had one of these issues. Hard to say if I am the only one!

Sincerly, for now, I think that this ENTERPRISE UNIT needs attention. In chance it's not in production.

Can't say the support is great but at least they still try to get this cleared out.

- Don't use Dedup and Compression when using backup. Your unit might freeze. This is not a bug but just tell you.
Trexx
Ask me anything

Re: ES1640DC v2 - Lots of issues!

Post by Trexx »

Ok.. so lets start of with some basics... NAS != SAN. They are different networks (Fibre HBA vs. 10GbE, etc.) and block based vs. file based.

What backup software/method are you using?
What is your NW connectivity (# of connections, switch model/info, etc.)?
Have you checked your switch/NIC cards for errors?
Have you tried changing NW cables?
Have you tried direct connection?
MS Windows version? Are you on latest bios, nic drivers, patch levels, etc.?
What QES version are you on?
Etc...

There are TONS of potential sources for issues/slow performance in something like this.

Have you opened a helpdesk ticket with QNAP for these?
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Suspect your network/hosts. This box isn't that bad.
You seriously mean 55mb/s reads?
What 10GbE switches?
Have you tried direct connection without switch?
How are you using each ZFS pool on ctrla and b, do you have separate ISCSI LUNs on each?

If you have 20 yrs experience you should know not to use RAID 5 WITH 16 x 8TBs.

There is a specific enterprise team for QES, continue to liaise on any ticket you have open.
monsenso
New here

Post by monsenso »

According to the specification homepage there´s an issue with the 10GbE throughput. Does anyone know more?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

monsenso wrote:According to the specification homepage there´s an issue with the 10GbE throughput. Does anyone know more?
I have never seen a spec page listing issues .. what are you talking about ? (link ?)
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

There was an issue with the first release of ES1640DC and the Intel driver but not with the V2 model.
Are you trying anything suggested?
If you don't answer questions no one can help you.
tamfadmin
First post

Post by tamfadmin »

Hi rdesormiers,
I know it has been a while; however, did you ever figure out/find out the root of your problem(s)?
Thanks.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)
tamfadmin wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:54 am I know it has been a while; however, did you ever figure out/find out the root of your problem(s)?
Please don't necropost. This topic has been inactive for 3 years, and the OP never posted again, so you're unlikely to get a response from them. You'd be better-off starting a new topic for your request. ;)

* topic locked to prevent further necroposting *

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “QES Operating System (QNAP Enterprise Storage OS)”