ES1640dc V2 Firmware Updates

adrian.mallett
Starting out

ES1640dc V2 Firmware Updates

Post by adrian.mallett »

Hi,

Got a couple ES1640dc V2's with an EJ1600 v2 expansion tray and just commissioning them and noticed a couple things.

Firstly, when doing firmware updates, the HA doesn't work. Can see it fails it over once, but doesn't seem to fail it back so you lose connectivity.
Secondly, accessing the management console and trying to get system stats is unusable during heavy network load. I was just copying some data to the QNAP from a windows server, 400MB/s but was trying to see the stats on the QNAP but I couldn't login on the primary node. I could login to the secondary mode but any stats wouldn't load.

Use firmware 2.0.
storageman
Ask me anything

Re: ES1640dc V2 Firmware Updates

Post by storageman »

Hang on, if fails over to controller 2 so it's still online, right? The fact that it doesn't fail back to controller 1 is another issue.
So what do you mean by lose connectivity?
I assume the ports are setup correctly for failover.

And did the "giveback" option manually work then?

Did you raise a ticket on this with Qnap?
adrian.mallett
Starting out

Post by adrian.mallett »

I havent raised a ticket yet. Was checking here first in case it was a known issues or a easy solution.

Manually fail-over works fine, removed a network cable and fail-over works fine.

Only thing I can assume thats happening, and by the way, I had to do 2 lots of firmware updates and happened on both systems....

Update forces the fail-over, does the firmware on node 1, but fails to do the fail-over back after the update, and then proceeds to update node 2. So then you lose access to your share until its completed.
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Have not heard that here but it might be something they've introduced.
Disappointing if that is happening, obviously whole purpose of HA is to avoid downtime.
I'll check too.

Are you able to post your network topology as here?
es1640dc.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TGordon
New here

Post by TGordon »

Adrian, I have a single ES1640dc V2 and it did successfully fail over between both controllers during the firmware update. Things work fine for me on the firmware update front.

However, regarding how slow the unit is upon almost ANY load, I'm seeing the same thing. I am continually getting the "The server is busy or the network is disconnected! Make sure the NAS can be reached and then reload the page."

For reference, I'm running firmware ES164Xdc_20180605-2.0.0.0351.

Return to “QES Operating System (QNAP Enterprise Storage OS)”