TES-3085 QES Data Corruption.

2bsupport
New here

TES-3085 QES Data Corruption.

Post by 2bsupport »

I have had random data corruption on my 30-bay QNAP for months now, I would have random VM's show data corruption at random. The issue has now compounded when I rebooted my QNAP it said my user account profiles are now corrupt and I can no longer administer the unit. VM's still boot off of the NFS share but I am not sure for how long. All disks passed SMART and are showing green. There are no error lights on the unit.

I cannot SSH into the unit.
I have tried from multiple computers and web browsers.
I have used the Qfinder app.
I have not done a "soft" reset on the unit because I cannot verify the status and I am afraid to lose my networking configuration and still not be able to login to the unit to allow the copy of the data off.

I have attempted to work with support over the last month and a half and they are blowing me off and making excuses. I called this morning and did not receive a return call.

This is not an enterprise product and lacks the support required as a mission critical device.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2bsupport
New here

Re: TES-3085 QES Data Corruption.

Post by 2bsupport »

This is an email the unit sent out on one of our support accounts being corrupt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I think the only regular user with knowlage anout the TES units is storageman

otherwise this forum (userbase) focuses more on the enduser/smb market

so your vms use virtual drives stored on nfs shares ..not iscsi?
2bsupport
New here

Post by 2bsupport »

Correct, it is attached to xenserver. That part is a minor issue compared to the lack of the ability to manage the device.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Sorry but all my experiences with Citrix Xenserver is to avoid it like the plague. Poor performance and poor support for VMs.
Nevertheless, there could be bugs in the Qnap QES firmware.

Of course if you don't need ZFS features you could switch to QTS, it may be more reliable. It will also run faster than ZFS.
atakacs
Know my way around

Post by atakacs »

Just wondering - did you manage to get to the bottom of your issues?

I'm exploring the QES line for a potential project and obviously this type of report has a chilling effect...
zmaho
Starting out

Post by zmaho »

is this solved ... i have one TES2085 arriving in next 10-20 days
UrsDerBaer
New here

Post by UrsDerBaer »

Do you use UDIMM or RDIMM? With UDIMM you most likely have a RAM-Corruption in one of your modules. ZFS needs absolutely reliable Memory as it works really a lot with RAM. In fact, it uses all of your RAM as much as it can. This is normally good, but not for RAM-Erros. One single Error can make a datastore corrupt. ZFS with UDIMM is more than careless, you must use ECC. If you allready use ECC, then one bar is probably broken.

Return to “QES Operating System (QNAP Enterprise Storage OS)”