Disable SMB 1.0 on QES

supremepizza
New here

Disable SMB 1.0 on QES

Post by supremepizza »

I see that there are ways to disable SMB 1.0 in QTS, but not in QES. Can I set a minimum version somewhere?
storageman
Ask me anything

Re: Disable SMB 1.0 on QES

Post by storageman »

Advanced Options
Highest SMB version: Choose the version of the SMB protocol (Server Message Block) from the drop down list for your Microsoft Networking operations. If you are not sure, please use the default one on the list.
supremepizza
New here

Post by supremepizza »

Yes I understand there's a way to enable SMB 3.0, but I'd like to disable SMB v1 for security reasons. I don't see that option anywhere. Are you saying enabling SMB 3.0 will disable SMB v1? I've done this, then performed an NMAP scan. Results come back telling me SMB v1 is still enabled.
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Edit smb.config and restart smb
GUI doesn't allow you to limit lowest version.
Rigoletto
New here

Post by Rigoletto »

The hint to edit the smb.conf is very interesting.
We are searching for a solution to set "mangled names = no" on the ES1640v2 as the performance of this storage will be degraded to low kb-rates when there are more than about 5000 files in one directory. The limitation of the lowest smb-version is also a good practise.
Can anyone give me a description how to edit the smb.conf on a QES-System?
Regards
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Rigoletto wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:08 pm The hint to edit the smb.conf is very interesting.
We are searching for a solution to set "mangled names = no" on the ES1640v2 as the performance of this storage will be degraded to low kb-rates when there are more than about 5000 files in one directory. The limitation of the lowest smb-version is also a good practise.
Can anyone give me a description how to edit the smb.conf on a QES-System?
Regards
I would talk to Qnap first. Better to push through changes to the firmware than people go off making their own .conf changes that could get overwritten at reboot.
Rigoletto
New here

Post by Rigoletto »

Thank you for the reply.
We have contacted QNAP support a few times but they only wanted to get dumps and other stuff but we got no solution for this problem.
Sorry, but that is not what we expect for an enterprise named product. Maybe you can check under ticket number OZM-512-55499 what
was communicated a few months ago.
I delivered a short script to the helpdesk to help them to reconstruct the performance gap on every stock ES-1640v2 when using the
storage as a simple samba file server. We have two identical systems here in a test environment and planned to get them into production mode
but with this performance gap we can not.
Regards
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Rigoletto wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:07 pm Thank you for the reply.
We have contacted QNAP support a few times but they only wanted to get dumps and other stuff but we got no solution for this problem.
Sorry, but that is not what we expect for an enterprise named product. Maybe you can check under ticket number OZM-512-55499 what
was communicated a few months ago.
I delivered a short script to the helpdesk to help them to reconstruct the performance gap on every stock ES-1640v2 when using the
storage as a simple samba file server. We have two identical systems here in a test environment and planned to get them into production mode
but with this performance gap we can not.
Regards
I don't work for Qnap so cannot check tickets.
I would not use the ES1640DC for a performance environment.
swiftman
First post

Post by swiftman »

We are encountering incredibly poor SMB performance as per Rigoletto running ES1640dc v2 with the latest 2.1 QES build. Due to the nature of the usage we may have folders containing 5,000+ files which I understand adds to our issues. I have seen mentions of modifying smb.conf via SSH/xlogin to optimise performance. Has anyone done this and seen an increase performance? Is anyone able to share the xlogin p/w?

We have a ticket open with QNAP but the appear to be busy ignoring it :-/

Help!
MadderDog
New here

Post by MadderDog »

swiftman wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:29 am We are encountering incredibly poor SMB performance as per Rigoletto running ES1640dc v2 with the latest 2.1 QES build. Due to the nature of the usage we may have folders containing 5,000+ files which I understand adds to our issues. I have seen mentions of modifying smb.conf via SSH/xlogin to optimise performance. Has anyone done this and seen an increase performance? Is anyone able to share the xlogin p/w?

We have a ticket open with QNAP but the appear to be busy ignoring it :-/

Help!
Hi Swiftman,

Did you get any help to solve this problem?

Best Regards / MadderDog

Return to “QES Operating System (QNAP Enterprise Storage OS)”