Help! ES1640DC v2 replaced disk not rebuilding

radcardnel
New here

Help! ES1640DC v2 replaced disk not rebuilding

Post by radcardnel »

Hello all,
I just replaced a suspect HGST 8TB SAS drive with an identical drive (erased partitions prior to installation). Waited several minutes to make sure the rebuild started but it never started. Initialized the drive, same result. Running QES v2.0.0.0769 RAID 10. Drive shows "good" (stress tested for 60 hours beforehand). Drive status is light green "ready" in the GUI. I've replaced another drive before and it was painless but not this time. What do I need to do to kick off the rebuild? Thanks!
storageman
Ask me anything

Re: Help! ES1640DC v2 replaced disk not rebuilding

Post by storageman »

Read the manual!

Green=Raw - not initialized.
Purple=Ready - the disk is not in use (all purple drives are considered spares)

Also, why not on 2.1?
radcardnel
New here

Post by radcardnel »

I did read the manual but I didn't see anything on how to resolve this issue. I plan on updating to v2.1 after the rebuild. In v2.0 light green indicates "ready" for disk 5 (see attachment).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Haha, looks like colour change between 2 and 2.1!

So it's now in a degraded state and won't start a rebuild?
You want to kick start the rebuild without restart of unit?

Is the replaced disk size the same or bigger than the original disks? Different manufacturers do not have the same MBs.

You're probably best raising a ticket.

Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
joechao
New here

Post by joechao »

radcardnel wrote: ↑Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:28 pm Hello all,
I just replaced a suspect HGST 8TB SAS drive with an identical drive (erased partitions prior to installation). Waited several minutes to make sure the rebuild started but it never started. Initialized the drive, same result.
Even with identical drive model, the difference between disk firmware versions may also stop it from rebuilding, if the newer firmware consumes more space and thus reduce the actual capacity of the drive. QES will not start rebuilding if the new drive's capacity is smaller than the replaced one.

Return to β€œQES Operating System (QNAP Enterprise Storage OS)”