ES1640dc v2 slow SMB performance.

MadderDog
New here

ES1640dc v2 slow SMB performance.

Post by MadderDog »

Hi all,

New here, found this forum when I was looking for help with our enterprise storage solution based on a couple of QNAPs ES1640dc v2 NASes. We are running these in production and write a lot of data to them. Ever since we upgrade to 2.1.0 firmware we have a lot of issues with writing /reading speeds over SMB. We are currently on the latest version availble named: QES 2.1.0.1066

I was mostly wonder if any of you here have the same experience?

I have been in contact with QNAP support a couple of days now which ending up that I have got zero or bad suggestions for any fix. Frustrating as h-ll. :evil:
So any tip would be amazing and appreciated.

Thanks guys and girls!!!
dolbyman
Guru

Re: ES1640dc v2 slow SMB performance.

Post by dolbyman »

any examples of the speed drop ?
MadderDog
New here

Post by MadderDog »

Actually, for now it is the users that are complaining when they jumping around in the folders looking for files, it can take up to 2 minutes to see the contents in a folder (Windows File explorer via SMB)
I need to do alot of testing and interview the users of what they really are complaining about to be able to get on the right track. I was curious if someone else have had or having this problem running the 2.1.0 firmware? And also if anyone are experiencing the same slow and useless response from the QNAP support?
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Does Filestation navigate fast without issues. This rules out a RAID/filesystem performance issue.
They was a problem with SMB connections not detaching and flooding the network but I thought that was fixed in later firmware.
When was unit lasted rebooted?
Do connection start off ok but get worse over time?
Have you check not network related.
If you create a small ISCSI LUN you could check if block is unaffected?
MadderDog
New here

Post by MadderDog »

storageman wrote: ↑Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:54 pm Does Filestation navigate fast without issues. This rules out a RAID/filesystem performance issue. (FileStation are also somewhat slow, but not near the troublesome performance using SMB access...)
They was a problem with SMB connections not detaching and flooding the network but I thought that was fixed in later firmware.
When was unit lasted rebooted? (A couple of days ago)
Do connection start off ok but get worse over time? (Gets worse over time, it seems that folders caontaing 4000+ files are the worst.)
Have you check not network related. (No problems with the network, we have an identical setup which runs okay.)
If you create a small ISCSI LUN you could check if block is unaffected? (We are not using LUNs, pure SMB/Network shares)
The thing that might causing this:
We are running two Raid 5 on Raid 0 (Raid 50) and had a diskcrash in the JBOD. I got the info from QNAP support that hot spares are considered global in these systems. This ended up that we now have one of the raid 5 disks for the JBOD located in the ES1640dc v2's chassi because the rebuild function grabbed a hot spare in the ES1640dc v2's chassi instead of the one in the JBOD chassi. So we now have 2 hotspares in the JBOD chassi and none in the ES1640dc v2's chassi. Can this be the cause of our performance problems maybe? Another thing, users claim that the files that were created before the diskcrash have not the same slow performance when accessing them.
Thanks for caring!

//MadderDog
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Did you raise a ticket?
ZFS is different to QTS. possible for RG to span chassis.
in theory 12GB/s SAS should not be any different to backplane but if connection dodgey who knows.
I find it hard to believe different files have different performance.
MadderDog
New here

Post by MadderDog »

Yes it is hard to understand the cause of these problems but a ticket has been raised 20200117, but no solution from support yet.

//MadderDog

Return to β€œQES Operating System (QNAP Enterprise Storage OS)”