QES 1.1.4 to 2?

fhouston
New here

QES 1.1.4 to 2?

Post by fhouston »

We have an ES1640dc v2 that has been running fine for a couple of years now but we never bothered updating the firmware until now. Last week we updated to the latest version 1.1.4[1]. However on the firmware update control panel now it just says we are running the latest version at 1.1.4 2019/02/13. So how do we get to the v2 track? Do I have to d/l it manually? Can I go directly to 2.1, or do I need to go through 2.0 first? The Qes 2 manual mentions something about data being removed, believe that is wrt a new install, not an update but the manual leaves that a little unclear.

Regarding the issue we had when updating to the latest 1.1.4 we were thinking about:
- Logging into the non running controller directly and updating the firmware
- Force a fail-over
- Login to the other controller directly and upgrade that one

Essentially doing the fail-over manually, since it didn't seem to do it automatically during the last upgrade. Will this procedure work? We've never really tried interacting w/ the controllers directly in this fashion before. Will the first update kick off an internal process that'll force both to update?

Thanks

[1] Not w/o hiccups though, the whole HA fail over thing didn't seem to work properly and we lost connectivity to the device (both controllers) for ~15min. Which means all the VMs went off line for a little bit, fortunately everything recovered eventually w/o any intervention. Have to say we weren't impressed, and looking around it sounds like others have run into this problem as well.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QES 1.1.4 to 2?

Post by dolbyman »

unless storageman shows up to answer (he uses qes units) best to open a ticket with qnap..most other users here use qts
chrwood
Starting out

Post by chrwood »

The update to the newest version is manual, so you would update from 1.1.4 to 2.0.0 latest then 2.1.x. I've had a ticket in for over a month for issues that has caused my redundancy to be zero and i have zero response from the ticket group. I use hyper-v and you can expect a complete shutdown once you get the 2.0 uploaded. Turn off all vm's and if you rely on one for AD/DNS/DHCP move it to local storage so that you don't lose the whole building, like i did. The update for me took over 3hrs to get complete and it broke the redundant paths. if your system is working or if you can wait for the response then feel free. but my $50k SAN is just a pc with storage at this point. AWESOME
ES-1640dc-V2
EJ-1600 V2
TS-453a x2
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

I heard that QES (freebsd zfs) may be transitioning to Quts Hero at some point. No license purchase required.
fhouston wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:54 pm We have an ES1640dc v2 that has been running fine for a couple of years now but we never bothered updating the firmware until now. Last week we updated to the latest version 1.1.4[1]. However on the firmware update control panel now it just says we are running the latest version at 1.1.4 2019/02/13. So how do we get to the v2 track? Do I have to d/l it manually? Can I go directly to 2.1, or do I need to go through 2.0 first? The Qes 2 manual mentions something about data being removed, believe that is wrt a new install, not an update but the manual leaves that a little unclear.

Regarding the issue we had when updating to the latest 1.1.4 we were thinking about:
- Logging into the non running controller directly and updating the firmware
- Force a fail-over
- Login to the other controller directly and upgrade that one

Essentially doing the fail-over manually, since it didn't seem to do it automatically during the last upgrade. Will this procedure work? We've never really tried interacting w/ the controllers directly in this fashion before. Will the first update kick off an internal process that'll force both to update?

Thanks

[1] Not w/o hiccups though, the whole HA fail over thing didn't seem to work properly and we lost connectivity to the device (both controllers) for ~15min. Which means all the VMs went off line for a little bit, fortunately everything recovered eventually w/o any intervention. Have to say we weren't impressed, and looking around it sounds like others have run into this problem as well.
why not update? :'
https://www.qnap.com/en/security-advisories
Firmware Security Vulnerabilities and How to Prevent Them
If you don’t prioritize firmware security, your organization is at high risk of a cyberattack
http://solidsystemsllc.com/firmware-security/
Thousands of QNAP NAS devices have been infected with the QSnatch malware (fixed with patch)
After a factory reset, users are advised to install the latest QNAP NAS firmware update available. QNAP has released a firmware update with QSnatch protections on November 1, 2019.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/thousands ... h-malware/
https://www.qnap.com/en/security-advisory/nas-201911-01
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “QES Operating System (QNAP Enterprise Storage OS)”