ES1686dc M.2 NVMe SSD Ports not working!

myg4ever
New here

ES1686dc M.2 NVMe SSD Ports not working!

Post by myg4ever »

Hello everyone,

I installed 1 M.2 NVMe SSD in each ES1686dc controller and in system logs it showed that the disk initialized successfully but when I checked the Disks section in the QES storage manager I found nothing there and the disk showing it empty and not installed !

I read this note in the user guide that said :
For compatibility reasons, PCIe form-factor SSDs and M.2 SSDs cannot be used to create SSD cache on dual-controller ES NAS devices.

Is that real ?!

so if this is real so what those ports onboard used for?

Can someone clarify this for me, please?

Thanks
Dwenzel
First post

Re: ES1686dc M.2 NVMe SSD Ports not working!

Post by Dwenzel »

I am sure that you are like me probably regretting your purchase.
All the promo docs said
included two M.2 SSD ports help you configure the SSD cache for even greater performance.
But the truth is
For compatibility reasons, PCIe form-factor SSDs and M.2 SSDs cannot be used to create SSD cache on dual-controller ES NAS devices
I think it's only use is Cache for Copy To Flash (C2F) 1 per each controller (64GB M.2 SSD)
we are in the same boat and the money spend on this has been the biggest letdown and regret of my career.
+
Storever
Starting out

Post by Storever »

"this has been the biggest letdown and regret of my career."

SAME! I think these devices are not fit for purpose and the marketing material contains outright lies. At some point we'll probably just have to eat the cost and replace this garbage, but I'd personally like to see a lawsuit.

Definitely worth publicizing this information here on this forum, Reddit, and any other IT outlets you can think of to hopefully spare other people this misery.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

If it's not supported, it's not supported.
Contact QNAP if you want to know more/complain.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Well what do you expect ? This is a user forum, we cannot change the behaviour of (enterprise) units here. Only QNAP could. QNAP does not come here.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Poster has not been online for 2 years (the original post in two years old) .. low chance that this poster will come back to reply to this ..hence my suggestion to actually talk to QNAP about any news or updates

Return to “QES Operating System (QNAP Enterprise Storage OS)”