"New Native SSH Client in Windows 10 to Aid Developers, Administrators"

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
OneCD
Guru

"New Native SSH Client in Windows 10 to Aid Developers, Administrators"

Post by OneCD »

... and here comes Microsoft, bringing-up the rear of the field. :roll:
eWeek wrote:Linux and macOS both feature a built-in SSH client, one of the reasons these operating systems are popular among developers. In Windows, users are required to download tools such as the free and open-source PuTTY SSH and telnet client.

That requirement may soon be a thing of the past.

Microsoft quietly included a native Windows 10 OpenSSH Client (and OpenSSH Server) in the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (version 1709), according to a Fossbytes report. Accessing the tool requires jumping through some hoops, including enabling the operating system's Developer Mode.
It offers users a taste of what a native SSH experience in Windows will be like if and when Microsoft officially releases it, but as with any beta software, it may not be entirely ready for use.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Trexx
Ask me anything

Re: "New Native SSH Client in Windows 10 to Aid Developers, Administrators"

Post by Trexx »

And a whole new batch of "how do I do this?" questions to go with it....
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Trexx wrote:And a whole new batch of "how do I do this?" questions to go with it....
Fortunately, it's not too-hard. Took me less than a minute to add it as an 'optional feature'.

https://devops.profitbricks.com/tutoria ... indows-10/

But, as I'm somewhat apprehensive about entering my remote user password whilst in a Windows command shell, I'm going to set a new password. :wink:

Now we just need to worry that an OS with a proven track record for terrible security will have a predictable and (eventually) wide-spread remote-access vector into other OS built with far better security. I don't think it will be long before malware attacks on Windows include checks for MRU SSH logins to remote units. :(

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Well no - it is hard :geek: ... Microsoft seems to have the client restricted to ED255919 keys.

Return to “Users' Corner”