QNAP TS212-P firmware upgrade from 4.0.7 to higher version

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
Heyman_QNAS
New here

QNAP TS212-P firmware upgrade from 4.0.7 to higher version

Post by Heyman_QNAS »

Hi team,
I have QNAP NAS model TS212-P with 1 HDD of 1,8 Terrabyte of which still 1,5 Terrabyte free, and 500Mbyte RAM. Currently QNAS firmware 4.0.7. In order to be able to run certain apps on my smartphone ( eg QPhoto ) I need to upgrade to QNAS firmware 4.2.0 or higher. Once TS-212_20160311-4.2.0.img uploaded, the installation starts. After 5% of installation I get error message 'installation failed - not enough space on RAM/Disk available for firmware update'. I guess the issue is the RAM size ? Can I solve this issue ? Adding more RAM on TS212-P is physically not possible.
Rgds,
Heyman_QNAS
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QNAP TS212-P firmware upgrade from 4.0.7 to higher version

Post by dolbyman »

try rebooting the nas, before trying the firmware update

also update the nas to the latest 4.3.x available after ..otherwise your nas will get hacked, when you expose it to the web (as you have planned)
Heyman_QNAS
New here

Post by Heyman_QNAS »

Thx for reply. Maybe stupid question but how should I reboot my TS212-P? The 'TS212P QNAP_Turbo_NAS_Hardware_Manual' describes reboot via LCD screen on NAS + 'Enter' button on NAS, but my TS212-P does not have LCD + button. I tried to find something about 'reboot' via QNAP Qfinder Pro but without success.
And another question : will all my actual data be deleted on my NAS when performing a NAS reboot?
Rgds, Heyman_NAS
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Heyman_QNAS wrote:I tried to find something about 'reboot' via QNAP Qfinder Pro but without success.
In Qfinder - assuming it's more up2date than the NAS firmware - right click on the NAS entry, there you find a "Restart device" in the context menu.

Alternate approach is to use the existing Web UI for triggering a reboot, or quickly press the power button for about one second to start a shutdown. Press and hold for some seconds will force a power cut, so be careful.
Heyman_QNAS
New here

Post by Heyman_QNAS »

Reboot of NAS done, but same issue when trying to upgrade firmware : 'installation failed - not enough space on RAM/Disk available for firmware update'. So I'm stuck.
Heyman_QNAS
New here

Post by Heyman_QNAS »

I tried via QFinder - Firmware upgrade. He managed to install up to 14% but then stopped with same error message as before.
Heyman_QNAS
New here

Post by Heyman_QNAS »

Should I try to do a 'reset' of the NAS, pushing the hidden reset button at the back of the NAS with a pencil.
I know this will start a Basis System Reset ( when pushing 3 sec ) or an Advanced System Reset ( when pushing 10 sec ), but what else can I do?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

We have to run your NAS through a manual firmware update process -> https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Manually_Updating_Firmware

Some manual clean-up might be required. A little bit short in time, please look over the thread -> viewtopic.php?f=11&t=88026 for troubleshooting hints.
Heyman_QNAS
New here

Post by Heyman_QNAS »

I did a manual firmware update using your above instructions and it worked! Thanks for your great support!
FYI : I used SSH and puTTY to get direct access to my NAS.

Return to “Users' Corner”